Skip to main content
Topic: New member PA (Read 1797 times) previous topic - next topic

New member PA

Hi,

I have a 1988 Thunderbird LX which my parents bought new off the local dealership showroom floor. This car is the first car I can remember and just remember as a kid waiting for the time that it would be mine.  It was my first car but sadly when going to get a replacement to give it a break from 18 years of daily driving and a little refresh it was also the first car I got into a fender bender in.  Minor body damage but as I said the goal was to pull the engine and give it a little refresh.  Almost 10 years later now it is still sitting in my parents drive way missing an engine, trans, front bumper, fiberglass crash bar and with a rough header panel off TC and a mismatched fender.  I am finally in a good position career wise and almost done graduate school so really looking to get it back to the car I loved.  I have been on forums for the SVT contours I have owned and now the Mazdaspeed 6 I daily but have never been able to find a community for the T-bird. Glad to have finally found a community with knowledge about this gen t-bird.  Plans for now are to hopefully find replacement parts (local junk yards are far and few between with these) and add a little extra power to get it back on the road.  Would really like to do GT40 Heads and Cobra intake but am hopeful to find info here on what my options are for our platform as opposed to specifically mustang.  Anyone on here from the Philadelphia area?

Dave

New member PA

Reply #1
Welcome to the forum.  You'll find a wealth of information here.  I'll let the Philly locals chime in for who is in your area.  There are quite a few build threads (like Vinnie's) for upgraded drivetrains.  Power is addictive (and never quite enough).  The good news is that most engine goodies for the Fox mustang 5.0 will fit our cars, but you will have to upgrade quite a few things like throttle bodies, exhaust, and fuel system to get the most power out of it.  I still don't understand why Ford didn't offer an HO from the factory...

Daniel

New member PA

Reply #2
Thanks, I am certainly aware of the mod bug fortunately my budget has kept me in check for many years.  One of my main reasons for coming back to the thunderbird is I was looking to put money into the speed6 and figured I would go down a path on my daily I wasn't prepared to go.  Since the thunderbird is just sitting there waiting for some love why not just get that back on the road so I can enjoy it again.  I often wonder why ford didn't offer an HO from the factory as well and while it was only 75 hp from what I can tell probably better for me as a 16 year old kid that it didn't.  I appreciate the insight and will certainly be searching to find as much information as I can. 

thanks
dave

New member PA

Reply #3
Welcome! If you haven't yet, check out coolcats.net  it's a site ran by Eric on here. The site is for cougars, but tbirds and cougars are VERY similar. Just about anything you'd want to do to your car is covered there.

-Kyle
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

New member PA

Reply #4
I have lots of parts I probably won't use all over the place, I've been hording. I live in Bethlehem pa. give me a pm of your needs. I will help where I can.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

New member PA

Reply #5
Welcome!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver