Skip to main content
Topic: Salvage yard motors (Read 1193 times) previous topic - next topic

Salvage yard motors

I'm going to go look at a late 80's lincoln Mark vii lsc sometime soon, and the guy who works at the salvage yard said I could have the entire assembly for $650 bucks. He also has some crown vic motors and the such from like...'84 I think he said.

Has anybody else purchased a motor from a salvage yard?
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

Salvage yard motors

Reply #1
check http://www.car-part.com, you can search your entire state's junkyards. $650 seems pricey to me but I'm no pro.

Salvage yard motors

Reply #2
the closest motor is a few hundred miles away on that site, and it costs over a hundred more..i did however find some 5.0's from stangs in washington for like...450. one's a 5 speed with 32,xxx miles on it.

dayum. that'd be nice.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Salvage yard motors

Reply #3
If you already have a 5.0 you might consider a '97-ish Explorer engine. GT40 heads and intake, and Lord knows Explorers are plentiful enough. I believe you'd have to swap your existing engine's accessories onto it though...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Salvage yard motors

Reply #4
I was giving strong consideration to finding an explorer motor myself, I would reccomend this as well.

Salvage yard motors

Reply #5
Do you already have a 5.0 in the car? If so whay not just rebuild it?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Salvage yard motors

Reply #6
I havea v-6....I neglected to mention this.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Salvage yard motors

Reply #7
Well since you have to pick up a 5.0 I would try to get one from a Explorer as others have suggested. Just make sure you go through it before you stab it in though. Also you may want to stick in a stock HO cam in place of the Explorer cam.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Salvage yard motors

Reply #8
Don't forget to check out the local craigslist.
Maybe even put up a wanted ad.

Heck you might even find a whole vehicle with the engine your looking for, For only a few hundred bucks. :hick:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/pts/1143546413.html
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Salvage yard motors

Reply #9
Jeeze, i guess im the only one that can get good deals on junkyard motors, even your $450 mustang motor is $$$.... Any motor $180, with 90 day warranty, any trans $135 wuth 90 day warranty.......... cylinder heads.....35 a pair... etc etc..... guess im just lucky....
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Salvage yard motors

Reply #10
Yeah where the hell you goin? I dont care where in Mass. you are Im drivin out there next time I need sumn :hick:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Salvage yard motors

Reply #11
x2 No kidding dude :iagree:

Salvage yard motors

Reply #12
you have a pm,.....86, youre a bit out there but if you really want to know where it is .... let me know,.......or maybe you can let me or zonda know what you need , then sjip it to ya,....... i go once in a while,.,.... i knew when i saw those two 86 bird and cats, i should have just stripped them down, with my paycheck,... and fufilled your guys needs ,..... welll at least some of ya.......im hoping to get down there soon, but with the ls running hot, its not looking too good for my H.O.....................wtf..........the big isssuie, is i dont have 10bucks per injector, and who knows how much theyd want locally for a mark computer.........its soo close to getting put together.... im waiting on my cam, injectors, and computer......... 3 FRIGGEN PArts>..............................1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Salvage yard motors

Reply #13
I had very good results with a 5.0 from my local "auto recycling" center...came from a mark VII with 247k miles and a 90-day warranty...it lived for almost 4 years of HARD abuse, many trips to fuel-cut off @ 6,250 and more 1/4 mi passes than I can remember...I put about 50k on it before the crank snapped...I guess I was lucky on that end.

Sometimes the best deals aren't on craigslist or even at the local yard...about 2 months ago I got a 60k mile 351 for $125 and a NEW Zoom clutch for $70...all from a guy at work...sometimes it helps to know people.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads