Skip to main content
Topic: Performance Chips (Read 885 times) previous topic - next topic

Performance Chips

So I was visiting http://www.performancechipsdirect.com, and they claim that they make a performance chip for my car.

The website claims you can get up to a 50 horsepower gain....

The chip is only 80 dollars, and I'm wondering if this is a worthwhile investment, and how much it will actually improve my horsepower.

I have an '88 T-bird V-6...Does anybody think it will do much for my car?
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

Performance Chips

Reply #1
I hate to say this, but I don't think that thing will do much for the car. Maybe 5hp. It looks really sketchy to me.

I would rather see you put that 80 towards an exhaust system or 5.0 block :hick:

You would get much more out of either

look it says the same gains for a daewoo!!! lol

http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Daewoo/Lanos/
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Performance Chips

Reply #2
Advancing the timing will give you at least 80-90% of the gain the chip would... On engines that have adjustable timing, I consider then a waste of money... Now if you're running a nitrous or blower system a custom chip is almost mandatory, if you want peak performance and not possibly hurt your engine...

Performance Chips

Reply #3
I was jsut wondering if my car would get any of a performance increase at all...The chips perform differently for each car, which is why it says "up to 50 HP". A lot of people use these chips in big trucks too, but I'm obviously not driving a big truck. O.o
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Performance Chips

Reply #4
Don't waste your time or money...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Performance Chips

Reply #5
Quote from: RunninWild;265473
I was jsut wondering if my car would get any of a performance increase at all...The chips perform differently for each car, which is why it says "up to 50 HP". A lot of people use these chips in big trucks too, but I'm obviously not driving a big truck. O.o

The problem with that logic is the turbo diesel engines you speak of in the big trucks are VERY restrictive from the factory. Also the chips that people put in the trucks cost anywhere from $350 to $600 and give huge HP numbers (anywhere from 75 to 150 proven HP)

If you notice these chips specifically say they are not for turbo gas, or turbo diesel engines.

on the flipside. Your V6 is not nearly as restricted, frankly it is rather maxed out. It is just not the greatest engine that ford made unfortunately. I am not trying to be mean, but just being honest. So throw a nice exhaust on there and you can reuse it in the future if you decide to switch engines. :D
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Performance Chips

Reply #6
Those "chips" are nothing more than a resistor that you plug into the ECTS (engine cooland temperature sensor). They trick the computer into thinking the car is cooler than it really is, which causes it to richen up the fuel curve. You MIGHT gain two or three horsepower but you'll get really, really shiznitty fuel mielage (it'd be like driving with a cold engine all the time).

They're one of the biggest scams on eBay, aside from those turbonator things. The parts cost less than a nickel apiece (I buy a lot of resistors, I know this). They claim "up to" 50 horsepower, because anything between 0.0000001 and 49.9999999 would fall under that claim and not be false advertising. Guess which end of that range you'd really see?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Performance Chips

Reply #7
I understand I would be getting nothing near 50 horses. I'm not THAT uninformed.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Performance Chips

Reply #8
Quote from: Carl;265545
The problem with that logic is the turbo diesel engines you speak of in the big trucks are VERY restrictive from the factory. Also the chips that people put in the trucks cost anywhere from $350 to $600 and give huge HP numbers (anywhere from 75 to 150 proven HP)

If you notice these chips specifically say they are not for turbo gas, or turbo diesel engines.

on the flipside. Your V6 is not nearly as restricted, frankly it is rather maxed out. It is just not the greatest engine that ford made unfortunately. I am not trying to be mean, but just being honest. So throw a nice exhaust on there and you can reuse it in the future if you decide to switch engines. :D

You're not being mean...I personally dislike the engine very much. It doesn't get that great of gas mileage, and has virtually no power. Granted, mine has a lot of miles on it, but you see my point. 3.8 V6 wasn't built for speed/power.

I have a somewhat modified exhaust...I had the ler removed and a regular two inch pipe put in its place. But other than that, my car has very few modifications. I'd like to get a 302 at some point, but we'll see. Thanks for your advice.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]