Skip to main content
Topic: proportioning valve (Read 1840 times) previous topic - next topic

proportioning valve

Hey guys,i was wondering why you can't use the stock turbo coupe proportioning valve on the T/C rearend swap.    Thanks Joe

proportioning valve

Reply #1
Who said you can't?

Actually using the Turbo Coupe prop valve when you switch to rear disc makes more sense anyway. Don't have to mess with an adjustable prop valve. Only thing is you'll need a couple adapters (your 3/16" line to the rear will have to be adapted to the 1/4" port on the bottom of the prop valve, and on top you have 1/4" and 5/16" ports, and I don't know why it's that big)

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

proportioning valve

Reply #2
Sorry i worded that wrong.I meant could i use the stock T/C valve?Thanks for the response Red LX.

proportioning valve

Reply #3
this is what i did and it worked fine, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. stopped my car from 110mph 1/4's with no problems.

i had a tc rear and 11" mustang gt brakes in the front. i used a prop valve out of a lincoln lsc. put you brake light warning switch in the top middle port. you will need a couple of adapters to make it work.
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe

proportioning valve

Reply #4
Thanks fordguy.

proportioning valve

Reply #5
That's what I said is that yes, you can use a stock turbo coupe prop valve.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

proportioning valve

Reply #6
What about using the stock valve and pulling the guts out and replacing it with the plug from FRPP?

proportioning valve

Reply #7
Why would you do that? That would defeat the purpose of using the turbo coupe prop valve...

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

proportioning valve

Reply #8
Plus you would still need an adjustable valve to balance your rear brake bias.
Matt :tg:

proportioning valve

Reply #9
If you use a turbo coupe prop valve you don't need an adjustable aftermarket prop valve.

However if you gut the stock prop valve, it's a requirement!

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

proportioning valve

Reply #10
That's what I ment.

proportioning valve

Reply #11
What I meant was using the stock LX proportioning valve and pulling the guts out of the front.  I know FRPP sells a plug for the front.  They sell the part in the Summit catalog.  I was having problems trying to find fittings for the TC valve.  Guess I should check a few more auto parts stores........

proportioning valve

Reply #12
What fittings were you having problems finding? The only "odd" on is the 5/16" one on the front. The others are 1/4" and 3/16" (I think, the other three may all be 1/4").

Go to Napa, they have all kinds of brake adapters and fittings there. I found everything for mine there after going to two different stores (two adapters & a metric tee) except for a female-female metric adapter which I found at Advance (and this was all stuff for a two-port MC conversion)

The only problem with gutting the factory prop valve is that you have to buy that plug which is around $5-6, and an adjustable valve which is $50-60. Hell of a lot cheaper to use the Turbo Coupe valve.

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

proportioning valve

Reply #13
Maybe cheaper to use TC valve if you can find it used, but you cant find one of those aftermarket, and Ford retail, if you can find one, is just over $100.

proportioning valve

Reply #14
OK, thanks.  I have a TC prop valve.  The fittings are hard to match as I went to several auto parts store trying to get adapters.  Guess I'll go to Napa as I have to go there anyway to get the rest of my e-brake cables.  Which is another problem, finding the front cable.  I have the rear two, and I have to weld a fitting on the drivers side which I got from the junk yard.  Hard trying to find TC's in the junk yard anymore.