Skip to main content
Topic: What the hell...valvebody/sep plate gasketry???? (Read 2139 times) previous topic - next topic

What the hell...valvebody/sep plate gasketry????

Reply #15
best thing you could do is let off right before it shifts.  and stay away from the 2-3 shift at wot, you will snap input shafts even with a bone stock engine, using a harsh shift kit
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission

Reply #16
Quote from: kwellst;241565
best thing you could do is let off right before it shifts.  and stay away from the 2-3 shift at wot, you will snap input shafts even with a bone stock engine, using a harsh shift kit

Not if the input is replaced with a hardened shaft... Yes I broke my original first time at the track back in '00, no problem since...

Reply #17
i bet its a sh@ ton better than it was stock.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #18
Well that's the thing, even at 1/4 pedal at 15 mph, it doesnt shift, it kicks. The thing literally jumps forward a bit like I just got rear-ended by a car at least as big as mine.

2-3 is NOWHERE near what 1-2 is. At WOT it gets slowed down. If I let off before th 2-3, it goes in reeaaaal quick. No jump, but a definite "CLUNK!" Now, I drilled that hole to maximum as well so I'm kinda surprised at that. I'd think 3rd gear (whether its a clutch or band) is a little roached, but when I left off it packs much more of a punch. The instructions said to remove one of the rubber check balls for the "insanely hard" 2-3 shift that will cause brain damage.

So I've thought of doing that. But if that's a weak spot, then no go. I've got the timing down pat, hell the car sounds like I'm driving a stick since I let off for just the right amount of time for the 2-3 and then I'm back on it again. Hell I kinda like it. :D  For the street, by that time I'm already doing like 40 mph under spirited driving, so all I care about is that the 1-2 is mean as hell.

And now I'll just wait for kingcars to come along and remprimand me "just get a T5 ALREADY!!!!" :hick:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #19
Quote from: ZondaC12;238732
Welll......the thing put it in no uncertain terms so I worried...HONESTLY more for the driveshaft u-joints and rear end's sake than my own health (cmon I can heal the car cant). But my buddy got this MINT 81 camaro and the thing practically JUMPS every time it shifts I can't stand it that's what I want. That and feeling that kick will give me the comfort of knowing that it's shifting nice and quick even under load, minimizing the clutch and band wear. So I have to go back in and change it, just hope the gaskets will still hold up....

lol I went for a ride in a 79 chevy LUV my dads buddy has(well its one of his 23!!! luv trucks) has a 350, and turbo 400. he pulls to a light, light goes green, pedel to the FLOOR, ROASTS the big fat rear tires, hits second, keeps spinning, hits third and chirps them, 4th chirps them. Thing was insane!! I know what you mean about wanting a nice auto, but a shift kit just isnt gonna give you that haha
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #20
Yeah I guess not. That's fine. Someday if I got money to burn I'll have one built up like crazy. No reservations about that, none of that can be seen so it doesn't ruin the car's originality in my view. As I said, I'm very happy that going into 2nd, on the right patch of pavement thats not too gritty, it barks em nice and it does it loud n proud!!!

23 LUV trucks. WOW haha. That's awesome, and that must have been a hell of a ride....
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane