Skip to main content
Topic: What the hell...valvebody/sep plate gasketry???? (Read 2149 times) previous topic - next topic

What the hell...valvebody/sep plate gasketry????

SO I wussed out on my shift kit because it said I'd get BRAIN DAMAGE if I went to the maximum setting. (no joke fellas Baumann sure has a sense of humor). Im PISSED. It sucks, moderate setting and under mid-throttle its affirmative but theres not even a clunk.

So Im going to redo it, I can't find valvebody gaskets anywhere? Not parts house sites, not even Summit! Where can I get em? Any chance the ones I put in that were included with the kit might be re-usable?
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #1
Alright....well I FINALLY found this "transmissionpartsusa.com" and they had em there. $3 for the gasket kit.....$11 for shipping. Pfff. Oh well. Buddy of mine said I shouldn't be re-using the old gaskets so I was really worried about this. Glad I found some.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #2
post up a link just FYI?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #3
Part 27130K scroll down a bit http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/AOD_transmission_gaskets_s/12270.htm

Reply #4
But, aren't the gaskets different in the baumann kit?, just asking.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #5
Oh ya think they'd match it up to the valvebody modifications? I figured it was jsut like universal or something.

What do ya gotta buy a  new kit every time you do it!!!?? What the hell. Ill have to compare em I guess. My luck Ill probably end up sending em back. :mad:

Ill just re-use em hell therye not even a month old! Ugh.

Reply #6
cant blame you for going with a moderate shift kit for the street.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #7
Welll......the thing put it in no uncertain terms so I worried...HONESTLY more for the driveshaft u-joints and rear end's sake than my own health (cmon I can heal the car cant). But my buddy got this MINT 81 camaro and the thing practically JUMPS every time it shifts I can't stand it that's what I want. That and feeling that kick will give me the comfort of knowing that it's shifting nice and quick even under load, minimizing the clutch and band wear. So I have to go back in and change it, just hope the gaskets will still hold up....

Reply #8
Did you call baumann to see what they think? It's funny with you young guys,how peer pressure guides you's.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #9
Ya know I didnt think about it but I suppose I could ask them if they match or if they could just send me one of THEIRS.

You have to call to order...so I spoke with someone about the levels...and he said a particular customer couldnt drive his car because he did "everything to the highest setting" and it shifted so hard he couldn't drive it. I mean words are words perception as well...how do I know if I don't ride in said car for myself? Who knows WHAT the car was too...coulda been a big block etc etc

And about peer pressure...well YEA lol but....I mean it is perfect...thats what I wanted from the START. But not like so hard it BREAKS things. His car doesnt seem that way I just don't wanna go overboard.

I mean I have no experience with this stuff so I dont know what to think. I saw in the manual "MAXIMUM: Definite traction breaking shifts etc etc this ought to be saved only for your non DD if u elect this driveline-abusing mode" See...I mean...$700 total spent on 3.73 gears this summer.....ya know....kinda need that to make sure that doesnt grenade....ugh. In the wrong business I know LOL not for a poor college student!

Reply #10
mine used to chirp 3rd easy with wot and chirped 2nd about half throttle, with 355s and 225 tires. this was an 88 with the s.o. 5L. i didnt use the max calibration in that kit.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #11
be careful with that shift kit.  you are correct on saving clutch and band life, but the hard parts will now wear quicker IE sunshells, planet's and pinions,  input shafts.  a firm positive shift is way better for the life of the trans than a neck snapper
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission

Reply #12
Yeah you're probably right, I have thought about that. Once the newness kinda wore off I've been letting off the gas just before it shifts, naturally that tones it down a little. And it's just about to come off the road for the winter, aaand I just don't put that many miles on the thing. I make plenty of extra unnecessary trips but all in all I don't drive that far. About 14k miles in 3 and change years. So maybe it will be alright.

Reply #13
are you running an AOD trans??
86 t-bird 226k miles and blown transmission

Reply #14
Yes it's a 5.0 w/ an AOD.