Skip to main content
Topic: Odometer Correction (Read 2483 times) previous topic - next topic

Odometer Correction

I've completed the cluster swap on the new Bird, so now I've got my eatc and my full digital cluster.  It required gutting the dash for it's harness and swapping the HVAC box (and ALL the ducting) as well as swapping one of the heater hoses from the engine bay, swapping the fuel sending unit, and will require a different oil pressure sending unit (not swapping because I'm engine swapping another motor that has it already), WHEW! gasp.  The problem is that the car has 71k on it, and the cluster I transferred has 180k.  I thought I'd be able to disassemble both clusters and swap the center speedo module, but I can't.  They're different. 

Does anybody know of a way to "correct" the odometer so that it's mileage matches the rest of the vehicle?

Odometer Correction

Reply #1
I am unaware of any way to do it. Let us know if you find a way.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Odometer Correction

Reply #2
I seem to have found something, but it involves swapping the nvram ic in the speedo module from one to the other which is not minor surgery.  I extracted the low mileage one already, and realized in the process that I wanted to use solder wick on the other one rather than make a mess with compressed air. So I'll have to buy some tomorrow before I go back at it.

Odometer Correction

Reply #3
cant be done per Bondocougar , I honestly believe he did swap the ram and did not get the results he wanted which is what your doing..... cant remember,,, please let us know either way.
swapping in another speedo from another car will trigger the center bottom "S" LED to be displayed indicating the speedo has been swapped.  I never clearly understood how the speedo "knows" it was swapped and bondocougar and i were looking into that years ago thinking the EEC must have some check bit somewhere that handsakes with the speedo.

mileage "could" be adanced with a signal generator and various other wiring jumpers if you had about 6months striaght to peck at it introducing 1 tenth of a mile per trigger.  theres no way to pick a numerical column and just edit that number (like adance the Thousands column only).

theres no known way to make the electronic speedo go backwards either.

the 1 hundered thousands place will not change to a numerical 2 either, just fyi.

you already know about the jumper wire you simply add to the empty part of the speedo module circuit card on a location called "W2", this will allow the speedo to go beyond 85mph

Odometer Correction

Reply #4
You get the S indicator when W3 and W4 are jumpered.  But thanks.  I'll be sure to keep it neat so I can back out of it if there's a problem.  I can't seem to google anything where he says it didn't work.