Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 underbody measurements (Read 2265 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 underbody measurements

Here they are. I noticed they're a little hard to read. If everyone agrees, I'll make them bigger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1
We threw away all of our old frame spec books at work few months ago now that everything is on a computer, but i have up to 86 specs for about anything. The book has roof measurments so im trying to get a computer wiz friend make me a 3d model of the car with a copped roofline.
Current-
87 Cougar
88 Crown Vic LTD
84 Yamaha Xt600

previous cars -
1990 Dodge Daytona -
1990 Geo Prizm -
1987 Honda Accord - 140mph wonder? Rally ready..... K.I.A. at WOT due to massive head failure. Still had the best paint-job EVER...
1998 Suzuki Sidekick 4D -
1969 Falcon Futura w/ Sports Coupe option (now go try and find that? And if you do tell me where it is!!)

The Cougar will never be for sale, Only up for trade on a 68,69 Falcon 2D.

Reply #2
I was going to post pics of my pages like that then it occured to me.  All those are of a chassis without a motor.

IT would be difficult to measure from those ref points diagonal with the oil pan in your way.  I could not find an engine bay measurement like the one we disussed on samantha's thread.

Usually people crash with an engine inside the car. In order to pull things back,, your only real clear ref points are from the top.  there are usually a lot of obstructions along the bottom or "underside chassis".

Thats why i was trying to get everyone to criss cross thier engine bays because those are the typical points a person would need in most crashs.

Reply #3
A tram gauge should allow you to clear any obstacles in the way to measure, at least ive never had a problem with an oil pan or anything of the sort. And pull?? are you doing the old tree and a come along or do you have access to a frame rack??
Current-
87 Cougar
88 Crown Vic LTD
84 Yamaha Xt600

previous cars -
1990 Dodge Daytona -
1990 Geo Prizm -
1987 Honda Accord - 140mph wonder? Rally ready..... K.I.A. at WOT due to massive head failure. Still had the best paint-job EVER...
1998 Suzuki Sidekick 4D -
1969 Falcon Futura w/ Sports Coupe option (now go try and find that? And if you do tell me where it is!!)

The Cougar will never be for sale, Only up for trade on a 68,69 Falcon 2D.

Reply #4
Quote from: 87crzypssy;253463
are you doing the old tree and a come along or do you have access to a frame rack??

Bah! Come along takes too long. Tow chain+tree+reverse= GOOD TIMES:mullet:

Wish I had access to a rack.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #5
Quote from: DVP;253501
Bah! Come along takes too long. Tow chain+tree+reverse= GOOD TIMES:mullet:

i use both.
 i have  a light pole that  is next to my tharapy shop.
when the bulb  need replace three years ago i made sure they installed a new pole just for that reason.
 i have used Tow chain+tree+reverse but for a smaller amout of pulls then the come along  is used
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Reply #6
Quote from: 87crzypssy;253216
We threw away all of our old frame spec books at work few months ago now that everything is on a computer, but i have up to 86 specs for about anything. The book has roof measurments so im trying to get a computer wiz friend make me a 3d model of the car with a copped roofline.

If you have anymore measurements hanging around for our cars, feel free to add to the collection. that's why I started it. or send them to me to add if you want
I can change the thread title if needed for all the years of our cars
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook