Skip to main content
Topic: How to remove and reinstall this body piece?? (Read 1429 times) previous topic - next topic

How to remove and reinstall this body piece??

So I took this piece off of my new shell cause there was some rust and I wanted to see how extensive it was. Luckily its only surface rust but now I dont know how to reinstall it and Im afraid I bent the trim when I removed it. So does anybody know an easy way to remove this piece without messing anything up??

The pics:
X

X

Reply #1
Pull the head liner down,and the fasteners (I believe three nuts per side) will be visible. Just use a small socket and remove them.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Ahhh Thanks Vinnie, Your wealth of knowledge helps me again!!

Reply #3
I wouldn't call it a "wealth" of knowledge......More like a piggy bank of knowledge.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
WOW! I have been staring at it on my car for years, couldnt tell if it was a piece of trim or solid body metal. (haha)

Vinnie- what kind of seal did you put back on it? Just silicone or what?
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Reply #5
I used some window sealant that I used on my 1/4 windows when I installed them.

Reply #6
hahahahaha jeez I didn't know that even came off.. I thought it was "nonremovable" :brick:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #7
Quote from: sarjxxx;343163
hahahahaha jeez I didn't know that even came off.. I thought it was "nonremovable" :brick:

You arent the only one!
Mike

Reply #8
Quote from: vinnietbird;343119
Pull the head liner down,and the fasteners (I believe three nuts per side) will be visible. Just use a small socket and remove them.

you actually just need to remove the upper side panels inside to get to it.  Think there are 4 nuts holding it on a cougar, 3 on a bird
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #9
True,the Cougars have a longer roof line.