Skip to main content
Topic: Restoring the ripple texture (Read 1450 times) previous topic - next topic

Restoring the ripple texture

Does anyone know a good way to restore the rippled texture on the plastic pieces?  I have some that are pretty scuffed up.  If i could sand them and retexture them they would look great (as they are not cracked)

Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
I have something in mind that might work, can you post a pic so I can see the correct texture?

Reply #2
Yes,share with the class.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
the only thing that i can think of is the plastic repair kit they have at eastwood. the kit comes with a clay kinda stuff so you can make a mold of the current effect. then you use the plastic repair stuff and used the molded piece to put the right grain on it. it would be hard to add it back to a big area.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #4
I would be satisfied with any even bumpy texture.  I think I might ask the guys at mp3car.com.  The plastics don't have any chunks missing.  The plan was to sand it smooth, then perform operation x to make it bumpy, and then spray paint it black again.

This seems to be what some people are using.

Reply #5
what are you matching up?
do you have a pic of it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #6
I don't have any pictures, but I might be able to take some.  Its my center console cover (plastic near the shifter).  It looks like its been in a knife fight.  They are only surface imperfections though.

Reply #7
Ok, since no pic let me toss out my info. Sometimes I refinish some plastic rifle handguards, pistol grips, and buttstocks. Originaly they had a "pebblegrain" texture. I found that if use Duplicolor Bedliner spraycan I can exactly duplicate the texture after some initial practice. When it dries, it is incredibly tough too, and already black. I would practice on some s wood or something, any smooth surface to get a feel for the process. I found holding the can further away changes the grain size.
Another thought I had for plastic interior, is to just glue and cover with the vinyl used in upholstery. That will hide and stop UV breakdown of the plastic, and give a nice new look to old chipped, cracked or faded plastic.

Reply #8
Is this what you are fixing? (on the left)
Dave, I hope you don't mind me using your pic.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #9
Quote from: daminc;211612
Is this what you are fixing? (on the left)
Dave, I hope you don't mind me using your pic.

I used trim paint on the blacker one,but that doesn't put the design back in.I sanded the whole console,and painted it.The results were good ,but I could of did better.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #10
Quote from: kitzdnm;211615
I used trim paint on the blacker one,but that doesn't put the design back in.I sanded the whole console,and painted it.The results were good ,but I could of did better.

It did come out pretty good though
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #11
I have sanded + painted things before and it looks better, but in my opinion its not the same.  That is the piece on the left on the previous page but the sloped piece with the ash-tray and switch mounting holes  would also need the same treatment.

Reply #12
danzajax, I was at your car site.
looking good. looks like my car twin
BTW. if you wipe the bondo with lacquer thinner  before you sand, it shouldn't clog the sandpaper as bad
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #13
damic, I think my problem was in using too little hardener.  I use a little more now and an electric sander to shape.  I will try the thinner though.