Skip to main content
Topic: 89 Sport Coupe (Read 575 times) previous topic - next topic

89 Sport Coupe

I have the opportunity to buy an 89 sport coupe(it says sport coupe on the body but didnt they only come with a 3.8 or the 3.8SC?) for $500. I havent seen it personally but my brother looked at it and said it had some rust on the bottom of one door but he didnt really look too hard at it. I know everybody says the interior is py but other than that what do you guys think? Should i go for it or not? I know it runs and drives cause the only reason they are selling is cause they had another car given to them as payment for work and decided to drive it instead. I cant decide what to do. I think i will go look at it atleast.

89 Sport Coupe

Reply #1
There was no such thing as an '89 Sport Coupe. T-Birds came in three flavours in '89: Base, LX, and Super Coupe. There were only two engine choices: 3.8 and 3.8 SC. No V8 was available in 89 and 90.

Aside from the usual 3.8 head gasket problems the MN12's had a rust problem. I know, some people had some that didn't rust, but obviously the car you're considering isn't one of them. If the door is rusted you can bet the rocker panels are, too. Of course, for $500 you're not gonna get a new car, so the decision to purchase it would be based on your intentions for the car. If you're just looking for a beater and the car will pass your local inspections (if applicable) go for it. If you're planning on actually doing anything with the car (mods, fix-up, etc) you might be better off finding a rust-free example.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

89 Sport Coupe

Reply #2
Yeah i think i am gonna just pass on it. I might have bought it if it was a super coupe or it had a V8 but i have no interest in a py 3.8. I realized after researching a little bit that they didnt offer a V8.
When i was first told about it i was told it looked just like mine(by my father in law) but after having my brother look at it i found out it was an 89.
Somebody must have thought it was cool to put a sport coupe graphic on it.:screwy: :hick: