Skip to main content
Topic: IRS update (Read 3278 times) previous topic - next topic

IRS update

Reply #15
Quote from: 1BadBird;136896
gumby, the springs I used are AFCO springs. I bought them from a "roundy round" shop. I almost bought 800 #ers but thought that they might be a tad too much.

Chuck: how's those mounts coming?? No rush :D

Depending on what you're using up front, the 800# springs in the rear should be fine.

I haven't had a chance to finish up the upper part of the mounts yet....working on it though ;)
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

IRS update

Reply #16
ah, more good spring info! i love spring info. are they jus standard stock car springs?
good to know ive got more options w/o having to decipher aftermarket sn95 drop spring ---> fox bird ride heights if i dont like the 750# rate on these 00R springs ive got, or if they dont balance well with my 400# front c/o's.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

IRS update

Reply #17
The wheel rate for a Cobra IRS spring is 33% of the actual spring rate in the stock location.

If you're using coil-overs, the wheel rate is 50% of the actual rate.

So those 750# stock-location springs are 247# at the wheel (800#'s are 264#)

Your front 400# coil overs are 360# at the wheel and the same as 1440# springs in the stock location.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

IRS update

Reply #18
33%, eh? good to know. i knew the liked ALOT of spring and understand why with the location of the spring on the arm, but i hadnt come across a figure in any of my readin yet.

i knew the front c/o was roughly 90%.

IRS update

Reply #19
33%, eh? good to know.
i knew the IRS likes ALOT of spring, and i understand why with the location of the spring on the arm, but i hadnt come across an actual figure in any of my reading yet.

IRS update

Reply #20
went and did some searchin on the almighty CC.com. i found it stated in a couple places that the rear IRS rate should be near 5% less than the front rate for good chassis frequency.

for now my car will go together as is, but in order to get to 5%, im gonna need to either raise the rear rate(1050-1100), or drop the front(275-300). guess ill know after i get it on the road.

IRS update

Reply #21
Chuck, that's some good info to know about the spring rates. I choose the springs I have by going from MM's spring rate for their sport spring rate, i went with the middle rate. The next one was listed as a Race spring. I too will see how the car sits and rides, of course after I do get the thing running.
Take your time Chuck, not in a hurry to put the engine in yet. 

gumby, have you thought about checking the 05'+ shocks to see if they have the rebound /compression lengths that would work with our cars?? I had heard that they would fit but haven't checked it out myself yet.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

IRS update

Reply #22
Cool :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

IRS update

Reply #23
i havent considered s197 shocks at all. i dont think the lower eye bolt hole is big enough for the stock IRS shock bolt.
plus ive got these 04 cobra shocks and struts sittin here :evilgrin:

IRS update

Reply #24
I need to get some shocks so let me know how those 04's fit, ok? Oncw my wife finishes her Nursing school in May, look out parts suppliers! :evilgrin: Who knows, maybe I'll get the beast going by next spring. :D

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]