Skip to main content
Topic: "It only costs a little extra to go first class"... (Read 2078 times) previous topic - next topic

"It only costs a little extra to go first class"...

So I did as my dad would have told me, and paid (as opposed to paided, that would be bad too ;) ) $850 instead of $500 (with the other guy keeping his caprice hubcaps and the car's battery) and got a NICE 80's Crown Vic. This is an '87. So it has the SEFI which is good. CFI would work but I mean hey always a plus right?

Apparently until 1.5 yrs ago it never saw a winter...was his grandfather's car, and he says the guy had a subaru he used for that.

This was totally what I wanted. I would have gladly taken anything that would run and drive, but my far-fetched-idealistic goal was that I would love have another 5.0-powered barge, seeing as I can trust that for sure.

He put a new exhaust on it, WOW is it quiet. I can't stand it LOL. Pipe sounds like a heat register in a house. Secondly, the steering is NOT rack and pinion! Never knew this. An ol' steering box with a pitman arm. Must have something to do with the ridiculous power steering. Holy  I guess that's why a lof of old people own em haha.

Finally....a FULL FRAME? Wow. Nuts. I didnt think anything other than....trucks...had a frame after what 1970 or so? Very cool. This is just as much of a tank as the '38! 99% of the frame still has the paint on it, the car is very clean, I feel bad making it a winter car! :rollin: Seriously though, I'll be washing it a lot, as much as I can, I want this one to stay nice too lol. As much as I can help it anyway.

1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #1
Looks good.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2
There was a guy on the Corral I used to talk to often that had one and he installed a GT40 intake,headers,Locker rear,Mass Air,electric fan,etc.Total sleeper from the outside.Nice score.I'd take one myself if I could find one.I actually want a Ford Festiva.Just a little  car to take all over locally.A parts hauler.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
I hate you for finding a nice car. ;)

Reply #4
Set of Cobra wheels and some FlowMasters and you'll be pimpin'. :D

Reply #5
Oh believe me I'd have fun with this one too if I had $$ LOL.

Im still waiting for thunderjet haha ;)
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #6
Nice score.  A guy I used to work with had one of those with a 351 in it.  I think it was like an '82 model or something.  Same color as yours too.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #7
Nice.............I had them back in the day and wish they still made them.  They are good cars.  In regards to the steering  is very possible to "beat" the power assist  in fast turning and suddenly loose the power assist.  That was the only complaint I ever had about those cars.

Reply #8
Wow, I'd jump on that for $850. That's a great deal. You can find cars like that around here, but they all weigh about half as much. That's because the bodies have rusted away.... Nice score!!
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #9
Nice ride, I love all the box cars from the 80s.
I've never seen one of those cars that still had bumpers left on them. but again it never really saw a NY winter.
Nice find...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
how about a 4 lug conversion and t bird wheels?
[only a joke] nice find and a comfy ride too--irv

Reply #11
Yep there's another thing lol 8.8 rear and 5 lug! I tell ya I'd LOVE to be able to have my ten holes or even the gold turbines :screwy: haha

Reply #12
the first car I ever drove was a 91 crown vic station wagon. It'd chirp the tires.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #13
Nice old Panther. I'd love to find an early 80's two-door model.

FYI, the Crown Vic didn't get rack & peanut steering until 2003. And they still have a full frame :hick I believe many Mercedes cars still use recirculating ball steering
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #14
Quote from: ZondaC12;240307
Oh believe me I'd have fun with this one too if I had $$ LOL.

Im still waiting for thunderjet haha ;)

What I'd keep it stock. That's what DDs are for ;)  Well I do have a HO cam kicking around and can easily get cheap E7s.......nah I'd leave it stock ;)

My uncle has a red 85 Crown Vic that looks the same way. It's got 50,000 miles on it and is pretty much mint. The only options it has are A/C (which still works perfect) and AM/FM with a tape. It has crank windows and manual locks and seats. It bet it's the lightest 85 Crown Vic from the factory ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.