Skip to main content
Topic: UPDATE 8/27: The 85 Bird - lots of pics. (Read 5470 times) previous topic - next topic

UPDATE 8/27: The 85 Bird - lots of pics.

Kyle's 85 bird to date.  It is still a work in progress.

A brief history:  I purchased the car in 1989 as a sophomore in high school with 18,000 miles on it.  I drove the car through high school and college before storing it with 128,000 miles.  The V6 started having issues, and I could not afford the constant expenses.  I decided to purchase a Ford Taurus and park the bird.  It sat for nearly 10 years until around October of this past year.  My grandma passed, left some money that she willed be spent.  I knew that I wanted to put it into my bird.  I had my favorite mechanics install a Jasper rebuilt 351w.  Everything is new front to back on  the underside anyway.  I have included a general picture timeline that shows the car from storage to where it is today.  The wifey says that I can start getting estimates on a paint job.  WoHOO!  I wonder what she wants.... anyway.... I hope you enjoy.  I sure am!  I love driving my first love again.

EDIT:  A bit more history .... As my folks and I were looking for my car, the first car I really, really liked was an 84 Cougar.  I didn't like the color much, dark brown, but I loved the style.  It was a bit rough, and had gold rims.  After that, this style was all that I looked at or for.  It really was love at first sight when it came to the cougars and tbirds.  I was really looking exclusivly for the Cougar becasue my older brother, Troy, had an 84 bird.  I also really liked the more boxey looking rear 1/4 window area, as opposed to the sloped rear window.  bbbuuuuuut, one day my parents and I were driving into the big city of Scottsbluff, NE to go to the mall and spotted my 85 sitting in a lot right next to the highway.  We stopped, looked, and fell in love. The rest is history.
===85BIRD===
:birdsmily:

Reply #1
... more
===85BIRD===

Reply #2
... more
===85BIRD===

Reply #3

===85BIRD===

Reply #4
that vinyl on the sunroof will make me laugh for the next day.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #5
:wtf:      Yeah, man.  I was a sophomore in high school.... never removed for some wierd reason... not until recently... and now somehow it ruined the tint on my sunroof and is permanently ghosted in.  It is the name of the car... and has nothing to do with the driver.... got it.. :)
===85BIRD===

Reply #6
looks good just needs the bottom painted all black or a full custom paint job. that car looks good and i am sorry you could not drive it for years but i think its nice you got to fix it all up can't wait to see even more pics of it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.

Reply #7
Thanks, man.  I appreciate it.  I really cannot believe that it is sitting in my garage ready to roll.  I'm planning on painting it... probably all the same color, Claret red.  A custom paint color I picked while I was in college.  Used a school loan on it.  I'll have the entire thing  painted, though.... it really looks better in pictures and from a distance.  I'll update this thread with more pics as time passes.

My wife is so cool, she likes to just go out on the highway with me and cruise.  Feels good.
===85BIRD===

Reply #8
go check out my cougar got it my old 87 T-Bird got wrecked but i like when bad stories turn out good.

Bad thing could not drive it for years.

Good thing got to drive it and its getting close to being about done and the wife digs the new ride.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
Awesome!!! The engine bay and underside are so cleeeeeean!!! gimmegimmegimmegimme!!!! LOL
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #10
Nice work.I wish the Sport was ready for paint.I'm getting closer by the week.Keep us posted,and,great looking car.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #11
OUCH!  That had to hurt... the car and your heart.  Looks like you have plenty to do and to fall back on... it's all good, even though it was bad.

And hey, why you flipping  over my "sweetness" on the sunroof.... "Car Pimp" on the ash tray... now that's funny.  LOL. 

Quote from: Carpimp1987;220181
go check out my cougar got it my old 87 T-Bird got wrecked but i like when bad stories turn out good.

Bad thing could not drive it for years.

Good thing got to drive it and its getting close to being about done and the wife digs the new ride.
===85BIRD===

Reply #12
Thanks!  I wipe down the engine and bay after every time I drive it.  My wife thinks i'm wierd.  Sometimes I'll wait until she goes to bed and then go out and hang with sweetness. 

Yeah, the underside WAS clean.  I had pics with the exhaust, etc. right before I drove it home, but my camera card was corrupt.  The day I took it home it started poaring not 2 miles from the shop... didn't stay clean under there for long.  But it still looks good.  I'm planning on taking it back down to the shop for the first oil change so that they can check all the nuts n bolts are tight.  I think they just want to see the car again.  LOL.  I'll have them put her up on the lift and snap some pics.

I have a million pics of the process.  I went down to the shop every week and snapped pics.  I really, really glad that I did.

Quote from: ZondaC12;220211
Awesome!!! The engine bay and underside are so cleeeeeean!!! gimmegimmegimmegimme!!!! LOL
===85BIRD===

Reply #13
Thanks a bunch!  Most of the work was done by somebody else.  I wish I had the skills of some of you... I can do the basics, but I enjoy every minute of it.  This would not have been done for a long, long time if it were not for grandma.  I hope she can see how happy I am.:D

Quote from: vinnietbird;220212
Nice work.I wish the Sport was ready for paint.I'm getting closer by the week.Keep us posted,and,great looking car.
===85BIRD===

Reply #14
Looks great! are you going to lower it?

Whats going on with the rear mudflaps? they are killin it with the body kit on there. Do you have a rear bumper cover?
1986 Cougar LS