Skip to main content
Topic: some werd eletirical gremlin. (Read 1133 times) previous topic - next topic

some werd eletirical gremlin.

well today my car was driving fine no probs at all. the battery is new for starters. and the alt is charging absloutly fine. now heres the issue. pulled the car in tonight went to go start it again to make sure i could. power goes completely out when i turn the key. so now i put it on the charger to see if that could be the issue NOPE! still does it. you hear a click like the silinoid(sp) is whanting to send the power to the starter but its like it cuts it before it can get thereand i figured hey maybe its the terminals again and there loose nope all tight. so what could this be?
and right now i just tryed to jump the silinoid(sp) and it did the same thing when turning the key but now it has no power once so ever!
also i need it in the morning and it is a 84 cougar with the 5.0 in it.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #1
Sounds like either your battery, solenoid or starter took a dump - the solenoid or starter is more likely, since boosting it didn't help.

Try crossing the two large terminals on the solenoid (you can use a booster cable). The engine should crank (whether the key is in or not). If it does, your solenoid is toast. If the engine doesn't crank, try boosting it and doing the same thing. If the engine still doesn't crank, try connecting a booster cable directly from the battery to the starter's hot terminal - if it still doesn't crank your starter is probably no good. If it does crank you've got a bad cable or connection.

One other thing - you say that the power goes completely out. Do you mean that turning the key causes the car to lose electrical power? Try turning the hadlights on and cranking, and see if the headlights dim. If they do your starter is getting power but can't turn the engine. This could be a weak battery (not providing enough juice for the starter), or it could be something more sinister - the starter may be drawing too much current. This could be caused by a bad starter as well, but it could also be caused by a severe load on the starter, caused by a seized or stiff engine, or hydraulic lock (blown head gasket could let coolant into a cylinder, stopping the engine from turning).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
ok here we go. i did the terminal jumper deal and it did crank but shortly after it stoped and ped out(no power again) and now the entire car is out and the battery is at a full charge and the jump pack right on it. but let me go do the terminal deal once again maybe it will work. but is it a possibility the battery cables might be coroded enough to not let power to the entire car? cuz i remember taping up part of the wire.

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #3
Your Negative terminal is not on properly.  100% sure on that.
One 88

Reply #4
ok how is it not poroper when i had to pound it on with a hammer?

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #5
i had to pound it on with a hammer
:eek: Hard enough to break the connection inside the battery?
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #6
Hmm, Never hammer things.  Just replace the cables ends or the entire cable. 

Great possability that battery is junk.
One 88

Reply #7
Chasis Ground is bad could be at the battery or on the block.

Reply #8
i lightly tapped it on but now it seems to be fine. doesn't die or anything at all. maybe ill just change the cables to be on the safe side of things

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #9
My guess would be your negative battery cable.  It would be best to change them both as you stated.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #10
Hi, I have a stock 90 3.8v6. I have been having starting system problems for the past month. it started when my battery died and it would jump so I replaced the alternator. the alternator I replaced it with kept over charging and acting strange. Then the same thing happend, my batter went dead. I assumed it wasnt the alternator and replaced my solenoid. It worked for a day. Then I decided to go have the alternator and bat tested, alternator was bad, and bat got charged. after replacing the alternator it ran fine for a few days. Then after taking a drive to the bank I go to crank her and she does nothing. the bats still got a descent charge and all the lights and stuff come on. i hear the fuel pump engage and when i turn the ignition I get nothing... nothing at all no noise. not the usual clicking noise i get. I want to test my starter but I dont know where it is, my manual doesnt tell me where either. How can i find out if its not a wire problem? How can i test the ignition coil?

Reply #11
I ran a jumper from from my positive terminal to the starter relay and my starter motor made noise but didnt start my car. Im going to check the wires to the relay, then the ignition switch. I read it might even be my netural switch. But shouldnt that have started my car?

Reply #12
When it made a noise, what kind of noise? Did it turn it over or just clunk?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #13
Umm. Not a clunk noise, more the wheening noise where the starter is trying to start the eingine but doesnt have enough juice.

Reply #14
My car is possessed. I was able to make it start when the ignition is turned by jumping the bat to the starter solenoid. This leaves the problem either in the wiring, the ignition switch, or the neutral switch. I go to check out the ignition switch and when I tug at the wire harness the thing falls apart on me. This made me happy because it told me that the obvious problem was here. I replaced the ignition switch and my car started up just fine.... twice. Now back to square one. No ignition but she still jumps. Any ideas?? im beyond annoyed.