Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 cougar 5.0 heater core (Read 2181 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 cougar 5.0 heater core

1988 mercury 5.0 5speed

anyone know where I can get instructions on how to install new heater core?

appreciate any information you guys supply

thanks in advance:D

Reply #1
I assume its the same as the 5.0 mustang, take out the console, drop the steering column, remove glove box, take a bunch of screws out of the dash, now here's what I did and some may cringe but it saves a lot of time, I cut a panel out of the airbox disconnected the hoses and pushed it out pushed the new one back in and tapped up the box with metal tape, I've done this on several cars and have never had a problem. I can do a fox car in about 2 hrs this way as a matter of fact I've got to do my 88 tbird very soon its getting cold.

Reply #2
I can do mine in 2 and a half without butchering my plenum.  For the extra half hour, I'd pull the dash.  Just pull it back and set it on the seats with the console out. No big.

Reply #5
I like my way better a lot easier

Going through the firewall is what I did
The link to it is in my DIY link below

I've always been totally against tearing out the dash of a fully proper working functional instrument cluster and so forth only to find out because you change your heater core now you have electrical problems
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?34998-AND-NOW!!!!-It-s-a-1hour-or-less-heater-core&daysprune=100

Reply #6
I installed a new Ford blower motor while I was in there.  Mine was getting weak

Reply #7
Quote from: Kafer79;422170
Here's THE source:

http://www.coolcats.net/help/heatercore.html

This is what I used also, went quite well.  Just take your time and be careful.
Mike

Reply #8
I did mine in 2 hours after work one night, in the snow, with nothing for light but a cheap 5 LED light. I did my buddies a few weeks later in an hour. It's not a hard job and there really aren't that many bolts holding the dash in. Drop the steering column down, unbolt everything, and just pull it out far enough to slide the box out through the passenger side. You might be amazed at what all you find down in there
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #9
I understand it's easier with manual heat/ac that with EATC like I have.  I will say that these original cores are made with a fortune's worth of copper.  I've always had more trouble with copper than with aluminum, so that that's the way I went with the latest one.  I did get a great opportunity to brush up on my brazing skills, as there were about a hundred leaks in my old one.  By the time I nailed down all the leaks, I think I could have passed for a master at it.

Reply #10
x2, the climate control systems air box and wiring and gizmos are a totally different set up than manual heat, which the instructions were based on.