Skip to main content
Topic: Two Cats Update... (Read 5314 times) previous topic - next topic

Two Cats Update...

I figure I'm way overdue for a progress report so, here goes:

Got the second cat the first week of October, the premise being that it would give me something to drive while I worked on the first one. The impression I got was that it was all in good shape so I could get right to work on the other. This was not the case. :(

During the drive back from Chi-town the brakes failed. Let me tell you, it ain't fun driving a car with bad brakes. It took 20 gallons of gas and 5 pints of brake fluid to get home, but I made it without hitting anything. The next morning I took it to the shop next door to our office to get the brakes fixed, but when the mechanic went to drive it into the shop it started, moved 30 feet, died and wouldn't start again. One fuel pump relay and they got it going again. But the power steering pump was groaning like my last girlfriend after one of my bad jokes.

Once on the rack it was obvious that there were some leaks. Brake fluid was pouring out of the right rear brake and PS fluid was pouring out of the steering rack. Now I don't do things half assed and Tom learned the hard way I don't like replacing parts on just one side or replacing only what is absolutely necessary. So, when he found the bad wheel cylinder he called me and asked how far I wanted to go. I replied change EVERYTHING. So, it got new wheel cylinders, shoes, drums and spring kit on both sides. Stops great now.

So, what about the rack? Well, I had been getting parts to do a complete rebuild on the other cat and had originally planned to have that done before Cat Jam. But as it came down to crunch time I realised I could get the front rebuilt but then I wasn't going to have the cash to make it to CJ. So I put it off for a few weeks. Then the offer for the second cat came and I had to jump on it. That meant putting off the work on the front end again. So now I'm sitting with one cat the NEEDS the parts I want to put in the other. It got them. New 15:1 rack, all new tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings and sway bar links. Not only did it stop the PS leak but ed if it didn't tighten up the steering something fierce.

Now it's going into Firestone this afternoon for new tires and an alignment. Nothing fancy on the tires, just something that will do well in the snow.

So, the first cat is feeling a little neglected, but I promised her that by spring she would have new suspension and brakes at both ends. She seems to be accepting that, but let me know she was disappointed. The battery went completely dead last week. I replaced it but it seems the DVD player has a security feature. Apparently when the power is cut to the unit you need a password to get it going again. As this was in the car when I got it and I didn't even get a manual for it, I have no idea what the password is. So now I'm waiting for word from ARS to see how to resolve this.

I have never been one to give names to cars, but I'm finding now that it's a good idea when you own two nearly identical cars:

Ring ring

Me: Hello?
Friend: Hey, what you doin'?
Me: Working on the cat.
Friend: Which one?
Me: The XR-7.
Me: The '88.
Me: The white one.
Me: The one with the red interior.

:rolleyes: :beatyoass:

So, heretofore they shall be known as Eliminator and CatNap. You can figure that out right?

I'll try to update more often so you guys don't have to spend a whole day reading again. ;)

Two Cats Update...

Reply #1
Did you try 0000 for the password?  That always works on the tv. 

Also I've found it not good to give cars names.  Everyone I've named I've totalled... Hum. 

Anyway!  I have a rack & pinion in my autozone warranty file too :D 

And when are we gonna meet up!  I want some burritos or Hooters.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Two Cats Update...

Reply #2
All ya gots ta do is call. :D

Two Cats Update...

Reply #3
Some of us have two cats, some of us have been looking, and looking...

I'm very jealous, and patient.

Two Cats Update...

Reply #4
patience truly is key. i was looking for another catbird for a little over a year untill the sport fell into my lap. went from thinking i'd never find a second fox, to having a VERY nice bird for a very good price. it may seem like its never gonna come your way, but it will. all good things in time
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Two Cats Update...

Reply #5
Quote from: xjeffs;192310

Yours looks oddly familiar. :D

Two Cats Update...

Reply #6
Quote from: xjeffs;192310

And some of us have 2 T-birds.......all though one is a MN-12...........and a 3.8 :flame:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Two Cats Update...

Reply #7
Quote from: *      *;192322
Yours looks oddly familiar. :D

An old pic... RIP 1996, totaled in the Florida rain.

Two Cats Update...

Reply #8
Me: Hello?
Friend: Hey, what you doin'?
Me: Working on the cat.
Me: The XR-7.
Me: The '88.
Me: The white one.
Me: The one with the red interior.

That's pretty cool & funny.
Hey, doesn't one have a tail and a skirt (ground effects), and the other does not?
At least I can tell mine by color. 3-86's, and when I drop or put one on the road, I have to go chek the vin. I'm gonna have the vin numbers in my head on em' soon.
I need to come up and look at the pair one day. Not b4 christmas though.

Two Cats Update...

Reply #9
Quote from: blu84302;192216
Did you try 0000 for the password? That always works on the tv.

Solved: Brain unit hiding under the backseat had a reset switch. Once I found it all was well again.

Two Cats Update...

Reply #10
Quote from: yellow86coogr;192542
That's pretty cool & funny.
Hey, doesn't one have a tail and a skirt (ground effects), and the other does not?
At least I can tell mine by color. 3-86's, and when I drop or put one on the road, I have to go chek the vin. I'm gonna have the vin numbers in my head on em' soon.
I need to come up and look at the pair one day. Not b4 christmas though.

You pick a day and I'll make it.

Two Cats Update...

Reply #11
Ok, I'm cussin' again. Driving Catnap home from work on Sat. night in the rain, got half a mile from home and the wipers went up and stayed there. Connecting arm came off the motor.:mad:

Two Cats Update...

Reply #12
Wiper problem fixed. Apparently mice made a nest out of insulation where the connecting arm meets the wiper motor. It bound up on the moter and popped the arm off. Cleaned all out, reattached the arm and left some sawdust for the mice to nest in. Cedar saw dust. I thought the cedar aroma would be nice and homey for them. :D

Two Cats Update...

Reply #13
Cedar doesn't really scare them away.  All it does is provide them with a respitory infection.  It's true they don't like it though but they will live with it.  (at least that's what the pet store people told me)

Do you want a kitten?
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Two Cats Update...

Reply #14
There's nothing more annoying than a coughing mouse.