Skip to main content
Topic: now THAT was an adrenaline rush! (Read 2533 times) previous topic - next topic

now THAT was an adrenaline rush!

Reply #15
Eric,

When you did your prop rod to hood spring conversion, did this part of the hinge come off of the Mark VII too?
I don't have that bar on my stock hinge, just the rear two.

Thanks,
Brent
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #16
Yes...it's held onto the stock hinge by a clip up at the top, and on the bottom it bolts in. The coil is in the middle of the whole add-on section. I believe it's a stock-type GM midsize hood hinge coil...I bought some Monte Carlo coils with different tension rates, just in case the Mark VII springs weren't going to work, but never had to use them. These coils seem to be under a lot less tension than the stock 1987-88 T-Bird/Cougar ones. If they ever need changed...no real threat of losing a finger or two. ;)

Reply #17
Quote from: EricCoolCats;110725
Yes...it's held onto the stock hinge by a clip up at the top, and on the bottom it bolts in. The coil is in the middle of the whole add-on section.

Ok, this is making more sense to me now, I though I was just going after the spring by itself.
So is removing it from a wrecking yard doner going to be just a matter of unbolting the add-on piece as an assembly or is there more to it than that?
:sorry:, just trying to cover all the bases. I'm not removing them and I will to have to explain the procedure to a friend of mine who located the Lincoln for me. I want to make sure I tell him what he will need to expect in the removal process so that this favor he is doing doesn't backfire on me.

Brent
One of 1,246 built

Reply #18
Ah, gotcha. No, it is literally as simple as unbolting them from the hinges. Like I said, there's not much tension on the whole thing. But be sure that he gets the clips and the bolts because they're hard to find otherwise.

Reply #19
Quote from: EricCoolCats;110746
Ah, gotcha. No, it is literally as simple as unbolting them from the hinges. Like I said, there's not much tension on the whole thing. But be sure that he gets the clips and the bolts because they're hard to find otherwise.

Cool, that is just what I needed to know, I'll pass it along.

Thanks again !!

Brent
One of 1,246 built

Reply #20
Quote from: 5ohbird;106276
step 4:
  you are now done! give yourself a pat on the back.
You, sir, are a crazy person.
1984 Thunderbird V8

Reply #21
:eek:
You're brave, really brave :crazy:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #22
I bought the same year set off of a friend on tstacc.com( brian LArkin) and cut the spring off and just used teh rest of it to hold the hoood on and got a prop rod out of an old stang.
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout: