Skip to main content
Topic: Is this the wave of the future?? (Read 4154 times) previous topic - next topic

Is this the wave of the future??

Reply #1
That is awesome! Now if someone can figure out a way to have the solar road power vehicles while rolling on them!

Reply #2
That is soooooooooooooooooooooo cooooooooooool. Absolutely brilliant. I'm ready to donate to these guys if they need it!!!
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #3
Till the first time it needs utility work, or someone does a panic stop, or a big truck parallel parks, or someone drops a trailer. I just don't buy it working. We have alot of impractical dreamers in this world collecting money. Power transmission has been around for ages, over a century. I would like to know how cost effective it would be, how long the panels last, and if the can actually generate more power then they cost. I don't see how you can make glass stronger then steel, without making it very thick, and how about stopping in the rain? Its a pain to pull away from a stop sign in my stock rear wheel drive car on cement. Can't imagine it being any better on glass.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
Quote from: Watchdevil;330581
That is awesome! Now if someone can figure out a  way to have the solar road power vehicles while rolling on  them!

Connect it to regular power refueling stations every few dozen miles.

Quote from: Haystack;330655
if the can actually generate more power then they cost.
Did you not hear the part about just the southern half of the united states being repaved with these is MORE THAN enoght to power the whole U.S.? If these could be coupled with converter plants that store and "distribute" this energy that could be the end of power plants. Period. That, my friend, is what I would call cost effective. Something that would eliminate our need for nonrenewable energy sources entirely sounds like it pays for itself to me.

Quote from: haystack;330655
and how about stopping in the rain? Its a pain to pull away from a stop sign in my stock rear wheel drive car on cement. Can't imagine it being any better on glass.

That will be interesting to see what they come up with.

I think this is absolutely the way of the future. Not only does it make great sense, but it goes completely in the "green" direction that everyone is going in now. And not to mention it looks like its from the future too! Imaging driving down a road at night and instead of trying to find your lane markers and know where you are, you can see these bright lights every time there would normally be paint marks. I think if they could just figure out how to maximize traction, this would absolutely become a safer system too.

Obviously there are still kinks to work out, but overall this is a great idea, and I am very excited about this and would love to see where they go from here.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #5
I have always thought about the day that could possibly come when internal combustion engines that run on gasoline would become outlawed. If I had to accept that possibility then I at least want a vehicle to perform as well as a gasoline engine. I would also hope we could somehow retrofit older cars so we could still enjoy them and hopefully not be forced to s them.

Reply #6
I'll go mad max before they outlaw gasoline....
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #7
Quote from: Haystack;330655
Till the first time it needs utility work, or someone does a panic stop, or a big truck parallel parks, or someone drops a trailer. I just don't buy it working. We have alot of impractical dreamers in this world collecting money. Power transmission has been around for ages, over a century. I would like to know how cost effective it would be, how long the panels last, and if the can actually generate more power then they cost. I don't see how you can make glass stronger then steel, without making it very thick, and how about stopping in the rain? Its a pain to pull away from a stop sign in my stock rear wheel drive car on cement. Can't imagine it being any better on glass.

Remember... this is thinking outside the box... "Thanks to area 51" :welder:

Reply #8
Can you imagine the money it would take to repave even just one lane on each of the major highways with this stuff?
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #9
As long as it pays for itself, which is the goal, it would not matter how much it costs.
...and there was light!

Reply #10
It's not even practicable. And it would be so cost prohibitive to work.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #11
as for glass look into corning inc and gorilla glass. I could see this stuff making it into solar panels to make them more durable.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #12
Gorilla glass has lots of potential uses over a wide array of different segments. I can't believe gorilla glass was invented around 50 yrs ago and was basically forgotten about untill the past couple of years.
...and there was light!

Reply #13
Maybe in 20 years when they can blend photoelectric macro-cells into negatively charged asphalt...