Skip to main content
Topic: 87 T Bird Turbocoupe with 5.0 swap (Read 1909 times) previous topic - next topic

87 T Bird Turbocoupe with 5.0 swap

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, Im considering buying a 1987 foxbody thunderbird with a 5.0 swapped into it. It is a turbocoupe, but now the engine is a 302 bored .40 over. Im not sure how to tell if its an h.o. or not. I know the firing order was different but Im not sure how to find the firing order, is it stamped on the engine somewhere? What things should I look out for in a car with a swapped engine? The engine is carbed and he came down to $1000 on the price, has no ac or heater. It has a 5 speed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Reply #1
Here's a link with all kinds of firing orders
https://www.google.com/search?q=302+firing+orders&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Asq&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vdsjUMmcN6Hn0QGoyIDwCA&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=575

Since it's 40 over it could be anything,if it is 302Ho firing order it may have been swapped in.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2
40 over seems like a lot to me.  .030 over is a standard overbore bringing the displacement up to 306.  There must have been a reason that a .040 overbore was necessary.

Reply #3
Quote from: Kitz Kat;395645
Here's a link with all kinds of firing orders
https://www.google.com/search?q=302+firing+orders&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Asq&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vdsjUMmcN6Hn0QGoyIDwCA&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=575

Since it's 40 over it could be anything,if it is 302Ho firing order it may have been swapped in.

A 5.0 swapped into a Turbo Coupe, imagine that...

There's nothing on the engine to indicate firing order, you'll need to check firing order... HO 13726548  - SO 15426378

If plug wires for cyl #7 & 8 are beside one another on the distributor cap it's a std 5.0... If #5(LF) & 4(RR) are beside each other, it has the HO firing order... There are plenty of performance cams avail for the SO firing order, prob would not be roller though...

A .040 OB isn't uncommon, seen several 308s... A buddy blew one up when the stock crank broke at something like 1700+ drag strip passes...  Block was fine, at least till the crank knocked a hole in it...

Reply #4
No Tom, .040 isn't too much really, I just said that it was not a standard overbore.  However, it does put the bore closer to the maximum relatively safe overbore of .060.  Any overbore  over .030 should be done ONLY after the block is sonic checked due to the potential core shift.

Reply #5
Quote from: Crazy88;395652
No Tom, .040 isn't too much really, I just said that it was not a standard overbore.  However, it does put the bore closer to the maximum relatively safe overbore of .060.  Any overbore  over .030 should be done ONLY after the block is sonic checked due to the potential core shift.

LOL, I have an early 302 short block that's been bored .060 w/ flat tops. It was listed in the for sale section.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #6
Thanks a lot thatll help for sure. My biggest concern is the guy selling it didnt do the swap and has no papers from the swap and doesnt know who did it. He seems (or pretends) not to know anything about the engine. Basically i dont know if it would be worth it without any knowledge of the engine, who did it, or what was halfassed. He said his bottom dollar is $1000 and hes selling it because hes going back to school. If i got the vin off the engine would I be able to carfax it and make sure it wasnt stolen, etc? He claims theres only 10,000 miles on the engine but why the heck would anyone bore out a practically brand new engine? Doesnt make sense. Im thinking maybe it was rebuilt and theres 10,000 miles on the rebuild, and the cylinders were scored or something and thats why they bored it? I just dont know if it would be worth it without any knowledge whatsoever about the engine...

Reply #7
Probably means 10K on the rebuild, a 5.0 with that few miles are few and far between.... Most any GOOD rebuild should include boring the block...

There isn't a complete VIN on the block, basically it's not traceable without a lot of work... If you are that paranoid, walk away...

Reply #8
I wouldn't worry so much about the motor being stolen, as Tom pointed out, it is would be extremely difficult to determine that anyway.  I would have the engine checked out by a competent mechanic by doing a compression test and maybe an emissions sniff if that is required where you live. Beyond that, check the car out for cancer in the typical places, floor boards, rear wheel wells, bottom of the front fenders behind the front wheels, the "pocket" between the strut towers and the firewall and the floor of the trunk.  There may be other areas to look at, but those seem to be the most common.  $1,000 isn't a heck of a lot and if the car is relatively rust free, is a decent price.

Reply #9
Thanks a lot, Ill probably have a compression test done if everything else checks out. Is there anything else I should look out for regarding the swap from someone who has done this themselves? Thanks.

Reply #10
You might look for things like hacked up wiring, jury rigged motor and trans mounts, oil pan to k-member clearance, etc.  You might also check how the exhaust is installed and how well it is secured.  If welding was required, are the welds neat and professional looking or do they more closely resemble metal popcorn with lots of slag and spatter?  If the swap was completed by a competent person, it will be apparent and appear to be almost "factory" engineered.  Only you can judge if things look right or not, but hopefully, these suggestions will prevent you from acquiring someone else's problem child.