Skip to main content
Topic: Cluster LED conversion excitement (Read 2690 times) previous topic - next topic

Cluster LED conversion excitement

Hi guys,
tonight i swapped over the bulbs in my instrument cluster to LEDs. It was going well. I had to drill some clear plastic from the inside of the cluster cuz it melted around the bulb and the LED wouldnt fit. Fixed that, no problem really.

X

So it looked really nice, bright and crisp image.

Pushed the cluster back into its home..

Until i smelled smoke. I had an "oh shiznit oh shiznit oh shiznit" moment. And this is the damage done.

X

Looks like two wires touched eachother and one burnt up. I really hope the cluster is still working and that the LEDs didnt cause it.

Any input is appreciated.

-Kyle
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Reply #1
Highly doubt the leds caused it since they should run cooler and pull much less amperage
Maybe a loose strand of wire hanging out in the clusters original spot?
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #2
Yeah so on the back i can see 1 burnt wire. and the one next to it is discolored. Getting it soldered today and then securing all the wires so that they dont touch
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Reply #3
Looked nice while it lasted!

What LEDs did you use?  I see really mixed feedback on LEDs in the dash, but it's an upgrade I'd like to do.
T-Birds can't fly.  Ask how I know...

Reply #4
The bulbs i used were:

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-manufactured-newest-chipset-technology/dp/B00877SL2M

Ill let ya know how the finished product turns out

Reply #5
Jebus that's BRIGHT. I might go that route when the factory bulbs in mine finally fail......
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
And see, if gone in before and changed out bulbs multiple times. So ive gotten real good at pulling out and installing clusters, but Leds will never burn out.

The tach display burnt out a few weeks ago, and figured why not get leds now?

Reply #7
So I got the jumper wire soldered:

X

And ITS FIXED!

X

Cheers

-Kyle

Reply #8
So it wasn't a led issue but a wire behind the cluster?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
Nope! it was one of the "ribbons" of wire had kinda delaminated allowing the wires to move. and then 2 of them that were right next to each other touched and burned up the plastic a bit. But i super glued the wires in place so they wont touch again. put some electrical tape on it. Done :)

Reply #10
How come your 326k mile car only reads 197k? :p

I couldn't believe how big of a difference new regular bulbs made in my dash. Yours looks super bright and I am jealous of the full digital cluster.

Btw, I'm catching up fast, my cougars got 320k miles registered on my odometer now.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
The original cluster went up to 199,999miles, then rolled over to 100,000miles. Then it did it again. So theres 300,000 miles. (Dad drove the car A LOT). I was given the car at 314k. Then the center unit in the cluster went bad, just a blank, green display. So we replaced cluster. Turns out the odometer is stored inside the cluster because the new one started at 172,xxx miles

Reply #12
So the LED are white?  Are they dimmable to decrease at night?
Mike

Reply #13
The LEDS are white, yes. And the panel dim next to the headlight switch STILL works too! So if you want you can dim them down

Reply #14
Quote from: kylesburrell;450499
The LEDS are white, yes. And the panel dim next to the headlight switch STILL works too! So if you want you can dim them down

Dang nice, thank you.
Mike