Skip to main content
Topic: WTH keeps the ashtray door from opening? (Read 1102 times) previous topic - next topic

WTH keeps the ashtray door from opening?

My ashtray door opens and closes with the actions of my right foot. And it is driving me nuts. :hick: I can't remember what keeps the tension on these things. Anybody know?
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #1
Little tiny springs.Really.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
There's a very thin steel wire that runs from two springs on the double cantilevered hinge assembly and is actually woven into the carpet all the way to the firewall just behind the gas pedal. I've heard stories of people flooring the gas and the hinge bolt on the back of the gas pedal snagging that wire so that every time you step on the gas the ashtray closes and when you let of to hit the brakes it opens again.

Seriously though just tape it shut. ;)

Reply #3
hmm

mine just has a small spring
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #4
Im pretty sure he was just kidding dude :P
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #5
Quote from: *MAYHEM*;149482
There's a very thin steel wire that runs from two springs on the double cantilevered hinge assembly and is actually woven into the carpet all the way to the firewall just behind the gas pedal. I've heard stories of people flooring the gas and the hinge bolt on the back of the gas pedal snagging that wire so that every time you step on the gas the ashtray closes and when you let of to hit the brakes it opens again.

wow now i know what is wrong with my ashtray door. would have never guesses
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #6
Quote from: *MAYHEM*;149482

It's my "I'mtoolazytoputtheseallbackinrightnowbecauseI'mprobablygoingtohavetotakethemallbackoutsoon" screw holder. :)

Thanks for the info fellas.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver