Skip to main content
Topic: The Trans Am (Read 2807 times) previous topic - next topic

The Trans Am

Well, not much news about the Trans Am, haven't told many the story yet.

I got the car, it needed lifters and a pushrod. I did the lifters and new pushrod and drove the car for a while. I was driving around and the car overheated pretty bad. I get it home with no issues so I refill, pressure test, and find a hose leak. Replace the hose, refill and go to drive it again. Turns out I get left stranded about 30 miles from home. Got it trailer'd home. Come to find I blew a headgasket.

Now for those of you who know me, I can't tear anything down, and just replace parts. I did rebuilt heads, 1.6 roller rockers and a full valvetrain, long tube headers and full exhaust, and a bunch of odd's and ends. Took me a while, but it's finally back together.

Here are the pics:

It's Gumby's fault.

The Trans Am

Reply #1
Nice car
Been waiting for those pics.. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

The Trans Am

Reply #2
Chevy. Garbage. 

Mercury is teh win.  Teh kat can NEVA LOOZE.  I will race you for pinks, bitch.

The Trans Am

Reply #3
awesome man! glad to hear you got it all back together
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

The Trans Am

Reply #4
Looks good  :)  Where are the burnout pics?
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

The Trans Am

Reply #6
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;283208
Looks good  :)  Where are the burnout pics?

Maybe when I get tires on my other wheels, I'll burn these off a bit. For now, I need the thing to last with minimal investment.

I do with I had a way to get sound clips, it sounds pretty mean when I get on it. It's fun having a car with instant torque.
It's Gumby's fault.

The Trans Am

Reply #7
Looks nice:D You have some fancy valve covers;)

Quote from: Tbird232ci;283213

I do with I had a way to get sound clips, it sounds pretty mean when I get on it. It's fun having a car with instant torque.

You've never had a 5.0 HO T-bird? I thought you did at one point.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

The Trans Am

Reply #8
Nice Shawn!  I have always liked those Trams ams.  love the ram air hood..

The Trans Am

Reply #9
I always liked those Trans Ams the only thing I heard sucked on the LT1 cars was the Duraspark, that and that stupid skip shift (You can bypass that tho).

Nice car man.

The Trans Am

Reply #10
Quote from: Tbird232ci;283213
I need the thing to last with minimal investment.

:rollin::rollin::rollin:

This guys got jokes! I cant think of anyone on where that minimal investment would apply to. Replace things the way you want them the first time or its just a waste of money is my mind set
1986 Cougar LS

The Trans Am

Reply #11
The thought of changing heads in that car makes me wanna head for the hills. :hick:
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

The Trans Am

Reply #12
New sig;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

The Trans Am

Reply #13
Quote from: DVP;283270
:rollin::rollin::rollin:

This guys got jokes! I cant think of anyone on where that minimal investment would apply to. Replace things the way you want them the first time or its just a waste of money is my mind set

just because that is your mind set, doesnt mean it is anybody elses...  Or that they can afford that :hick:  hell do you think I would be using a T5 in my standard conversions... NOPE would prefer a T56 6 speed, but funds dont allow it...  which Im willing to bet shawn needs the car to last so he can save some coin...

The Trans Am

Reply #14
Lou, I haven't had a running HO Thunderbird yet, but I've had a Stang. It has NOTHING on the torque this car has. I can be in third gear, at 1300 rpms, punch it, and it just noses up and goes. It doesn't flinch, it doesn't bog, nothing. On the highway in 5th, I never have to downshift to pass people.

DVP, when I say minimal investment, I mean breaking and fixing it. I just want it to be durable enough to last me a few years. If I break something, I upgrade yes, but I don't want the "forced investment" of surprise repair costs.

86XR7project, luckily for me, the car had a brand new Optispark put on it about 300 miles before I got the car. Previous owner dumped 2500 bucks into the Opti, pushrods, plugs, wires, and fixing the window. Ended up bending another pushrod and that's when I scooped it up. The skip shift is long gone. I spent the 15 bucks to get the eliminator after a week of having the car.

RJ is right, I need this bugger to last. I need to save up money. Planning on moving to Ohio in the middle of 2011, and I have to straighten my credit, get my Thunderbird rolling, and be able to afford to move by then.
It's Gumby's fault.