Skip to main content
Topic: Meguiar's Ultimate polish and wax review (Read 6006 times) previous topic - next topic

Meguiar's Ultimate polish and wax review

I tried Meguiar's new Ultimate polish and wax on my Thunderbird recently. I had been using their Gold Class wax and polish for years but I ran out so I thought I would give this stuff a try. Holy  does it work good. It's easy to apply and take off and the car has a really deep, wet shine. I've since used the polish and wax on both my Mustang and Focus with similar "holy , wow" results. Mind you the Thunderbird is rocking 25 year old factory paint. The results might be even better on new paint. This stuff really brought out the metal flake sparkle in my Focus (it has much more metal flake in its paint than the Thunderbird does).

Linky to the Meguiars products I used:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g19216-ultimate-polish/
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g18211-ultimate-wax-paste/

Results:

88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
 that's Awsome .... I know what I'm trying next

Reply #3
Looks good man Ben useing there stuff for a while  I like it

Reply #4
Wow, really nice.

Ill give it a try.  Did you do it by hand or buffer?
Mike

Reply #5
Quote from: mcb82gt;419391
Wow, really nice.

Ill give it a try.  Did you do it by hand or buffer?

I did all the cars by hand. I always hand polish and wax so I don’t damage the paint finish, especially the old one on the Thunderbird. I do have two cautions when using the Ultimate Polish:

1.Do NOT use the polish on a hot car (ie the car has been sitting in the sun) this causes the polish to dry out, which leads to point number two.

2.Do NOT let the polish dry out. Make sure you do small sections at a time (about two feet or so) and buff it off while it’s still damp. If the polish dries on the finish it’s a pain to get off. You have to really scrub at it.

The same two warnings above can also be applied to the Ultimate Compound. The Ultimate Wax on the other hand is stupid easy to use. Wax the whole car then buff it off. It doesn’t dry out and it’s incredibly smooth. It’s probably one of the best waxes I’ve used. I’m not going to spend $100+ for a jar of wax as how much better can it be? The really expensive waxes evaporate quickly. I’ve know people who use them and they have to apply them about once a month. The Thunderbird is still slick and I put this stuff on in April. I like the ability to wax the car once a year (I can get away with it on the Thunderbird because it sits in the garage under a cover when not in use, I have to wax the DDs every 4-6 months) since I would rather drive the car then spend all my time waxing and polishing the thing.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
Lou , Very nice indeed but for Paula's Cougar I've been using this Meguiars Deep Crystal 3 step system for awhile and have had very good results. :headbang:

info on these products...
http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/meguiars/deep-crystal-3-step-system.aspx

Reply #7
I've been using this stuff on my cars since it came out since it holds up very well in the weather. A full clay bar, polish, and wax job can easily take an entire Saturday with a DA, if you don't count time spent on paint correction for damage. I also do the windshield, which keeps the water beading up for half the year. Doesn't compare to aquapel or rainx, but it doesn't streak and works well-enough.

Just use the recommended ratio for shampoo/water and the wax will work for many months.

Of course, remove any bird or bat droppings immediately and re-polish/wax the area. That  will eat through everything.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #8
This stuff seems to last very well. We've had quite a bit of rain since I waxed the Focus (which sits outside) and the wax protcetion hasn't been affected. I'll go back and wax it before winter but I'm suprised at how well the stuff holds up.