Skip to main content
Topic: Intake Manifold Porting Pics. (Read 679 times) previous topic - next topic

Intake Manifold Porting Pics.

Recently I had to change my lower intake manifold because of some broken bolts for the thermastat housing and a failed attempt to repair it.  While I had it on the table I noticed some rough casting flash on the ports.  I laid the new gaskets on the manifold to see how they matched up. 

Very poor to say the least.  This is a horrible bottleneck.

Just 1/2 inch deep the runner was the same size as the gasket but there just seemed to be a ridge on all the port mouths.

Oh and all of this was for my 88 3.8
One 88

Reply #1
Here are the scribed marks from the gasket match.  These are a different set of ports than the last pic.  You can tell that in places the manifold was atleast 1/4 inch smaller than the gasket.
One 88

Reply #2
Here is a finished set of ports.  This really opened up the runners alot.  If I had the proper equipment I would have fully ported the lower but I only had a short rasp. 

Funny thing is, with the manifold being this far off the heads where almost perfect matches to the gasket. 

Even this simple little gasket match made a noticeable difference.  Not that the car is much faster, but there seems to be more power on the bottem end for takeoffs.  Seems like the power comes on smoother as well.

Also the engine sounds different as well.
One 88

Reply #3
I did the same thing in 1995 with the 3.8 in my old '91 T-Bird. I was rebuilding the engine (spun #4 rod bearing) and while it was apart I decided to clean up the ports. I found the heads needed some work too, but not nearly as much as the intakes (I also did the part where the upper and lower meet). I never dynoed it, of course, but it certainly felt faster...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
On mine the upper and lower matched the gasket mating gasket perfectly.
One 88

Reply #5
in those 88's yeah they did that. but when i get my ho motor and rebuild it im definatly porting everything also taking out those bumps in the exhaust port. but no gonna polish them. may look into it before then but thats gonna be a game time decision. but definatly looks good. but do the rest and you will notice alot more improvement.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #6
ah it's just a 3.8L  Waste of time and money.:flip:

send it to the "crusher" where it belongs.