Skip to main content
Topic: Reactive as opposed to proactive solution to PTV clearance problem...? (Read 5930 times) previous topic - next topic

Reactive as opposed to proactive solution to PTV clearance problem...?

Reply #15
Quote from: Haystack;347127
But, with new pistons your going to upset the balance anyways. Could be more or less then flycutting. Unless your going to pull it all apart anyways to balance it, just pull the valves out of your e7's, and use them as a guide. Do some reading on that SbFtech. You will learn alot.

Yeah I'm gonna get on there. I very much appreciate everyone's advice and I thank you all for it, but it's probably wasting everyone's time honestly, kinda feel bad. I need the nitty gritty. As thick-headed as it might sound, I am staying iron heads, not only that, but iron heads that are ford factory parts, and the bottom end is NOT going to be touched. Period. I see it as a bragging right that its the original bottom end still going strong (which it is) and I want that. Just how I feel. I have seen pictures of people gluing sandpaper to the bottom of a valve and spinning it with a drill in the valveguide. I think this is what I'll do, I like the idea best for accuracy. Definitely not going to do anything until I know as much as I can. by no means did I even think about just "crank n hope" either. That's completely irrational.

The more I think about it, if I don't get to play with more power than E7's can offer on this engine, it's NOT the end of the world. With the list of demands that I have? I should consider myself lucky as it is. Ya can't have it all...
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #16
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;347181
Get some Trick Flow heads... No valve reliefs necessary and are far better than any cast iron Ford head...

Someone had a deal on them -- $1000 for an assembled set.  I'm not sure which springs they were equipped with though.

Why the desire to stay with iron heads?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #17
It would be more obvious if I had this with the other project thread....but that's in the body/appearance forum because that's more what it is. But I'm trying to keep a stock appearance so I sure don't want to see a smooth polished finish of an aluminum head. And yes I would paint it anyway, so then I'd have to scuff it up etc etc. GT40's were of course not conceived yet in 1987, but to me that's close enough to be period correct as they're in every way externally like the awful stock heads this car came with, aside from the 3 bars. which are masked by the front accessories. Would anyone ever really see the difference? No. But I'll know that it's not right.

Not to mention cost. I *could* afford a grand on heads. Not comfortably enough for me though. And it doesn't make sense to I believe. If I'm gonna go nuts on heads like that, it'll be on the silver car.

Update as of this evening -- http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?29607-How-to-flycut-pistons-in-an-LS1-for-free!-%28almost%29  Definitely gonna do this. Took it apart tonight, ordered another set of HG's and intake gaskets. I'll use the E7's so they can get filled with bits of metal and I won't care LOL. But their idea of how to get the same depth every time is genius. As well as the simple idea of cutting a piece of sandpaper just bigger than the valve to ensure the relief is a little bigger in diameter for heat expansion. I'm excited.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #18
Buy some cleveland valves from a parts store. There dimensionally bigger, and cheap. I think its $5 for both intake and exhaust. You should look it up and check for sure first. And Btw, I am not sure I would be okay with just the chuck holding it in place, but it would probably work with how much you would be pull it out.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #19
As in 351 cleveland valves? And you mean as far as the chuck gripping it square and evenly so it doesn't try to flop around? I would definitely check it up several times to make sure it's straight and also I'd take my sweet ass time, no need to go full speed and risk heating up the valve guide or binding it up or something.

Reply #20
Quote from: ZondaC12;347479
I would definitely check it up several times to make sure it's straight and also I'd take my sweet ass time, no need to go full speed and risk heating up the valve guide or binding it up or something.

i was about to say that as my final suggestion lol.. and keeping the valve stem as lubricated as possible will keep you safe as well.. you just need to make sure you're 100% TDC or else your reliefs won't be accurate and WHOOPS, a bent valve :(

good luck though, and make sure you clean those cylinders/pistons up exceptionally well.. don't want any of those metal shavings finding a permanent home on your rings lol

EDIT: that guy drew a winking smiley face.. WIN!!!!! hahahah

Reply #21
Yeah I got a good laugh outta that one lol. I like their idea of taping the ENTIRE deck, or at least what *I* would do if I hadn't seen that, is I would tape everything besides the surface area I needed to use on the piston. So I'd cover the crevice between the piston and wall etc, so filings won't get anywhere in the first place. Screw trying to fish that stuff out. No way to know for sure that you got everything.

Haystack, where did you even find single valves available? I checked advance auto and they don't even sell valves. I would think valves would be sold as a complete set for a head or even both heads. Ebay echoes this feeling. I'd also think any major part for a 351 cleveland would carry quite a premium regardless of what it is. That's not just any motor!

Reply #22
Any good Jobber store should be able to get you single valves , NAPA. Federated , Oreilly,etc...  and Cleavland valves should be no more expensive than any other engine
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #23
Just remember that the top of the piston will be weaker with the notch in it.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #24
i've bought single valves from advance before.. i replaced 1 in the old motor in my S10 when my #3 piston started breaking apart and a piece of it got jammed between the piston and valve.. i don't think they come up on their site though and it takes a decent employee to find it in their system, not 1 of the regular retards they typically have working the counter.. talk to a commercial guy if you can, they're usually the smartest guys in the building

Reply #25
I have not done it. I plan on staying stock H.O. when I assemble my motor, unless I come into some money. My new block also has valve reliefs already.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #26
Yeah the Advance near me has a couple people that know me on a first name basis LOL. Definitely will be heading there tomorrow like I should have done today!

Reply #27
if they can't find them, i MAY have a few chevy 2.02 valves somewhere, i can toss 1 in an envelope and send it your way if need be

Reply #28
Well, went earlier today, sure enough! $5.99!!! Haha. Their computer said 1.842" for this intake valve. GT40 valve is of course 1.840. So that's 20 thou bigger, I figure do what the article said and cut the paper a little bigger anyway to be sure. They had to order it, will be in on the 5th of the new year, so we'll see what we're lookin at when I get it.

Are most valves from the big 3 pretty standard in stem thickness? Would a chevy valve fit in the guide even??

Reply #29
as far as i've noticed, ford and chevy small block valves are very very close.. same goes for the 2.3 because i've seen people put chevy valves in them.. don't know about dodge though, i don't mess with them