Skip to main content
Topic: Removing Y-pipe off Ex Manifolds need tips (Read 1102 times) previous topic - next topic

Removing Y-pipe off Ex Manifolds need tips

Well its time for me to convert my stock 87 Tbird SO 5.0 to true dual exhaust. I got H-pipe & shorty headers off of an LSC. Started to spray down with WD 40 and can see I will have trouble taking Y-pipe off exhaust manifolds. Especially the passenger side. I see no clearance from underneath to the nut closest to the engine, and very little clearance to the other one. Please OH GREAT GURU's of the Internet, give me advice! Before I break things working on my back with the front on ramps.
87 Sport with HO cam, 19# injectors,TB+Upper Intake,87 Mustang EEC, Cloyes double roller timing chain, Kirban adj. fuel regulator and Autometer fuel pres. guage, HO shorty headers + LSC H-pipe and Dynomax Super Turbo lers, Ford Racing 9mm wires, K&N filter / no air resonator, 8.8 XR7 Diff., V rated tires, Project ongoing.

Re: Removing Y-pipe off Ex Manifolds need tips

Reply #1
Well, I pulled the Y-pipe off my 5.0 recently. It was a minor ordeal but it's all taken care of now.

First, I got some PB Blaster and sprayed the bolts a couple different times and let it soak in.. like for a day or more. Second, I borrowed the longest 1/2" drive extensions I could get from a friend, along with a few extra sockets and a socket U-joint.

I had to experiment with ways of getting up at the bolts, but what I found is that if you take the socket and the socket U-joint and wrap the joint semi-tightly with something like duct tape, you can get at the hard bolts you might not have got to with just the socket. Just leaving the socket U-joint flapping around usually nets you a socket flopped over on its side.. but the duct tape holds it upright but still allows it to flex.

One last note: I ended up having to hack off the line from the smog pump with a hacksaw, right at the Y-pipe. You might not have to do the same, if you can get it unbolted from the exhaust manifold up above.. but then you'll have to snake that out of there along with the Y-pipe.

Reply #2
well, mine was original, never touched. before any project involving rusty bolts i spray them down with (as bird 351 said) PB BLASTER (this stuff is truely awesome, a godsend for sure) at least the day before. i only sprayed the header to block bolts because i wasnt going to use any of the old exaust. i probly should have because all of the bolts in the exaust broke or stripped with an impact. the header bolts to the block broke freely easilly with a wratchet. i ended up having to "burn" the drivers side header to y pipe coupling off as well as the rest of the exaust...made short work of it. if you cant do the same then its gonna be duct tape and extensions as bird 351 said.

as for the passenger side, removing the starter helps to make a little room as well as cutting the "smog tube" out first and removing the tubes associated with it temporarily. permanently depending on what you can get away with at the emissions testing...

the only thing i think you will have to modify will be the captures on the engine mounts. the tube headers tend to hit them. my drivers side was fine but the passengers side needed clearance. i heated and bent mine but its cool to cut them. not so cool if you break a mount though. i did a 5 speed swap so im not sure if the AOD or the linkage will be in the way at all. good luck man....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #3
If you are putting headers and an h-pipe on, then just cut the old pipe, or break the bolts if they won't come off. You will be using different ones anyway. Yes, pb blaster is a great product.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #4
Thanks guys! I took a fresh look at it today and taking off the starter looks promising. I might try loosening both bolts while on jack with wheel off, before putting the car front on ramps.
I prefer not to cut off the air pump pipe if I don't have to, just in case I'll ever need it in the future. But I realize it wont come off the Y-pipe without a fight (one I prefer to tackle off the car). I'll cut as a last resort.
Hosed it down good today with Liquid Wrench (couldn't find PB Blaster at the local supply place). Make due with what I got.

I plan to just remove the starter bolts and pull it out of the way without removing wires. This a bad idea?

I'll use my new and yet to be used 4.5" grinder to grind down the motor mount extension. As far as the AOD linkage, I have a console shifter and hope there'll be no interference.
87 Sport with HO cam, 19# injectors,TB+Upper Intake,87 Mustang EEC, Cloyes double roller timing chain, Kirban adj. fuel regulator and Autometer fuel pres. guage, HO shorty headers + LSC H-pipe and Dynomax Super Turbo lers, Ford Racing 9mm wires, K&N filter / no air resonator, 8.8 XR7 Diff., V rated tires, Project ongoing.

Reply #5
I prefer not to cut off the air pump pipe if I don't have to, just in case I'll ever need it in the future.

cut it off as close to the y pipe as you can. it should be hooked up to your h pipe if your gonna keep it ;)
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #6
it should be hooked up to your h pipe
...normally using a kit containing some dual-diameter high-temp hoses, a piece of steel tubing, and some hose clamps. Trim to fit.
Here's mine (Walker #35574), just hanging there...
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #7
Good idea, I'll cut a bit away from the Y-pipe, get it outta there, and remove the tail end later with propane torch. Patch job after.