Skip to main content
Topic: LED Taillights (Read 2955 times) previous topic - next topic

LED Taillights

Here is a short video of the LED taillights in my black bird. I had previously re-painted the reflectors a bright silver. I had thought about using some chrome vinyl wrap I have to make them brighter. Whatcha you all think? These bright enough or should I do the chrome wrap.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=28412C1F39D26D27!572&authkey=!AGBX9vvU3vbR1C0&ithint=video%2cmp4

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

LED Taillights

Reply #1
Little hard to say but they look bright enough to me. Any chance you can put stock bulbs on one side for a better comparison?

LED Taillights

Reply #2
I can do that :)

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

LED Taillights

Reply #3
Ok, so i reinstalled regular lights in the left taillight. To me, it appears just slightly brighter but not as red. I have red LEDs in the right side.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=28412C1F39D26D27!574&authkey=!AJdgdTpXGITm0A4&ithint=video%2cmp4

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

LED Taillights

Reply #4
Yeah, the regular bulbs seem to have a slight bit more intensity. The LEDs certainly seem like enough though.

LED Taillights

Reply #5
Why not white LEDs? The lens is red anyway.

That's why the std bulbs look brighter, most likely.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

LED Taillights

Reply #6
Quote from: Chuck W;454947

White LEDs and the regular bulbs tend to make the lenses look pale. You  can't see it in the video though. With red LEDs, the red is more  brilliant, more red, more intense....

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

LED Taillights

Reply #7
what bulbs did you use, so we can try to compare to others.....

LED Taillights

Reply #8
Quote from: Chuck W;454947

Yes with leds you want to pick the color desired regardless of the lens color

Regular bulbs produce a larger range of wavelengths an the lens then filters out the rest

Leds produce a very small range of wavelengths, so a white bulb will be less bright after being filtered through a red lens compared to a red bulb in a red lens.
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

LED Taillights

Reply #9
Quote from: jc10000rpm;454965
what bulbs did you use, so we can try to compare to others.....

I used regular silvania 1157 bulbs and the LEDs I picked up at my local Pep Boys, the brand is Pilot. I had another type of LEDs that only had the leds facing outward (when sitting in the socket) and they didn't work very good.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

LED Taillights

Reply #11
Or the "plasma" leds. Plasma doesn't mean anything, just marketing bull .
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com