Skip to main content
Topic: Why don't 302 head gaskets match the block & head ports? (Read 2123 times) previous topic - next topic

Why don't 302 head gaskets match the block & head ports?

I was going install the heads on my '88 engine build and these head gaskets are designed to do something with the water ports and I would like to know why.
I read the FelPro instructions  and the gaskets are marked front on both, one is flopped over for the install and both have the water jackets on the rear. Now my question is, why are they blocking the front water ports, as well as pinching down some ports to the size of a pencil. It seems that these gaskets are made to do some blocking and restricting of water flow. This doesn't seem like the greatest idea because the water can break down the gaskets after time right?
I collected head gasket images for '88 302 and made an example image comparing them to one another. How the heck am I suppose to determine the right one, lol.
X

Here is my concerns on these head gaskets design while compared the block port jackets.
X

My Felpro shown above seems to be closest to the Ford Racing gasket #2 in the list at the top image.
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106

Reply #1
:dunno: I figure the head gasket designers know what they are doing as far as coolant passages go. I just use the correct gasket for the application and slap it on.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Double check, but I believe you want to match the gasket to the head, not the block.  The heads evolved over the years (especially with different manufacturers), as did the blocks, and not all passages are used.  Many of the aftermarket heads are also designed to be used with the 351 block.  And, with the proper antifreeze with anti-corrosion additives, you can go years without eating through gaskets... :)

Reply #3
its always bugged me to,,,
notice "some" do not block off the ends but have bleed by holes.
the ends of the heads are the only ports that bugged me.,, as in they matter the most

the "room" inside the block is all one space anyway, its not separate chambers

same on the heads,,, front and rear water jacket passage only though,, no water travels in the middle.... same on lower intake

Reply #4
I had holes at the front, heads and block. The old gasket had holes up front so i added them to the gasket. I only got about 20 miles out of it before the trans took a dump and it was cheaper to buy another $500 car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Ya, I figure the designers better know what they are doing too., lol. The rule I went by was, match the old gaskets exactly when installing new gaskets.

Open end water ports in gasket always go to the rear. Read the gasket if it says front  and one gasket always gets flopped over.

It's a poor design to have the gasket being the seal and blocking a flow thru since the water will eventually work the gasket and eventually cause it to fail around blocked water jackets. Probably why the head looks like  around those areas, all corroded.
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106