Skip to main content
Topic: A couple of questions; TB size, and cold air intake mod? (Read 2048 times) previous topic - next topic

A couple of questions; TB size, and cold air intake mod?

I was wondering what would be a decent TB to use for the following combo: 5.0, standard bore, Cobra upper/lower, '40P's, 24# injectors, smog delete, catless X pipe, and I know the cam specs are important, but those #'s are in the shop, and I'm in the house :hick: (I'll edit this post with that info shortly).

Would an Explorer TB be "aight" for this engine?

And second, I have a CAI that I got on ebay a couple years ago or so, but it's for a SD setup. Would it be worth it to modify it to work with a mass air set, or should I just sell it and buy the proper stuff? I don't have a problem cutting it, but finding the rubber or silicone connectors might be a problem, unless I measure and order online. I checked my ebay history to find the seller, in order to see about an exchange, but my list apparently doesn't go back far enough...

If someone here wants it, PM me, and we'll sort it out. It's all complete, still in the box. I took it out when I bought it for inspection, boxed it up, and it's been in a cabinet in the shop since.

TIA... :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #1
Explorer/Cobra TB is 65mm, so that should do you fine....unless the intake set is ported and the upper input bore enlarged.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #2
With GT40P heads and a Cobra intake a 65mm TB is fine. An Explorer upper actually has a 68-70mm TB opening (I measured the one on my car at 70mm). I believe a Cobra upper is the same way. A 65mm TB is going to flow plenty of air for your setup.

As far as the CAI I would just sell it. A panel K&N in the stock airbox and tubing will get you the same result as long as the silencer in the fender is gone.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
No sir, intake(s) is/are all stock.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;442452
No sir, intake(s) is/are all stock.

If you cobra upper is stock it should have a 65-70mm TB opening. Production variances you know. The Explorer upper on my car measures at 70mm. I have another one in the garage that measures 67.8mm. Who ever operated the milling machine was a little inconsistent. As long as it was bigger than 65mm it's all good ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
I'll have to check it out..thanks for the tip :D

I went outside earlier, but it was just too ed cold to stay very long. I checked my block and heads..made sure that the cylinders weren't getting any rust. All is well...will wait till it's somewhere above 10!! ed degrees.
Heater does work now, but I just wasn't up to it. Still have a nasty cough from being sick and don't want to push it. Several people around here have been put in the hospital from developing pneumonia out of the flu. For a couple of days, I though I might have to go in myself, but I started to whip it. Drink lots of juice. OJ...and sometimes a shot of vodka before bedtime.

Edit..checked my outdoor thermometer..it's 8.5*F. ("F" meaning..."eff" that).
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
It's about 5* here right now. A bit on the cool side even with a garage heater ;).

Reply #7
im running a bbk 70 mm on my mostly stock 5.0 b303 explorer intake 19# lightning injectors.

it seems to like it.

as for ur cold air intake I have a bbk fenderwell kit on mine. kinda pricy but is a very nice piece.[air cleaner insulation sucks]

speed density cai don't sell still sitting on mine...

Reply #8
Yeah, my Cobra intake has a stock TB, I do have an Explorer, just have to mod the throttle linkage.

The CAI is in the back of my mind. Likely when it gets to that point, I'll figure out a way to make it work with a mass air meter, and try to find some silicon boots or connectors or whatever they're called to seal it..just another little step to take when it gets there, is all.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
should be able to go to the parts store and get connectors