Skip to main content
Topic: Front springs. (Read 1223 times) previous topic - next topic

Front springs.

Here's the deal: I need serious alignment right now and that will happen in the next few weeks, but if I'm gonna do that, I'm gonna do everything right.

I know I need new bushings and ball joints. I also know I need new struts. If I'm gonna have it all apart anyway, I might as well go ahead and do the springs too. What I'm looking at is 25# heavier springs that will set the front about 1.5" lower.

Can anyone tell me offhand what springs I need?

Front springs.

Reply #1
SN95 front lowering springs? :dunno:

I have BBK front lowering springs for an '87-93 5.0 Mustang on my car and it looks like they lowered the front right around 1-1.5". I don't know the spring rate though.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Front springs.

Reply #2
I'm staying tuned into this thread because I want to drop the front of my car a bit and have it currently torn down to the control arms.  The rear of the car actually sits low enough for right now, especially considering the big drag radials I'll have stuffed in there in the near future.

Front springs.

Reply #3
As odd as this is going to sound to most of you, get a set from either a 84-96 Jeep Cherokee or a 86-92 Jeep Comanche with the 4L motor, it will drop the front about 2".  I know this, because I have a pair of Comanches, and on the Comanche board that I'm on, people have actually used fox cat/bird V8 front springs to lift their front ends.  The spring rates are almost the same, not much difference IIRC.  Hope this helps, and is close to an answer you were looking for.
'86 cougar gone to the big yard.
'86&'88 Jeep Comanches.

Front springs.

Reply #4
Good info, Venom. I'll keep that in mind.

Front springs.

Reply #5
Well, 2" is a bit much on Fox-platform suspension, in fact it's recommended not to drop a car that much.

I was originally running cut front springs but found the BBK's for a great price on ebay (used), and they actually have the car sitting at almost the same height as the cut stock front springs (I think I cut one coil if I remember, I dunno)

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Front springs.

Reply #6
Here is a few pics of my car, next to a stock height, with sn95 coupe, H&R Supersport 1.75" drop springs. Don't forget my car has a V8.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/thundr306/87%20turbo%20coupe/DSC02111-1.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/thundr306/87%20turbo%20coupe/DSC02107-1.jpg

And yes, they are for sale! I am going to a coilover setup.

Jim