Skip to main content
Topic: drive shaft safety brace (Read 1266 times) previous topic - next topic

drive shaft safety brace

across the bottom of your car is a short flat bar that goes across the transmission tunnel area.
its purpose i think is to drop the drive shaft down but let it rest on a bar so it doesnt just hit the ground or floor.
It mirrors another brace on the interior of the transmission tunnel area by way of the bolts so i guess it might be a transmission tunnel brace,, instead of a drive shaft safety brace but whatever..........

I noticed this..........
i have the bar for my sons 87coug but its sorta bent up.
i have the one from my 20th.

i was cleaning up my 20th anniv bar to go on my sons' 87coug LS,, but i noticed something on my 20th bar.

i saw two letters "AP" then what appeared to be a date.  i thought why would they date such a measly item?

i grabed the one that came factory on the LS and cleaned it up,, sure enough "AP" was there but a different date.

my son's LS may have been built late 86,,  my 20th must have been early 87.

so,, check yours out,, you have to clean off the top of the bar and use a mirror to read it if the bar is installed.

if its not installed and you do not have the nuts with sealer to the body,, water is likely rotting out your rear pass floor pans for sure!!!!!!!!!

so now i am compelled to make sure  the correct bar goes on my son's car,, that way the correct bar can go on my 20th,, being buttstuff and all!!

im thinking "AP" might be some company in ohio,,, like "alliance something"

i am starring to think this is an actual "final date" the car rolled off the line!!!  it makes sense that the drive shaft would likely be one of, if not,, the very last thingsto go into the car wouldnt it?

drive shaft safety brace

Reply #1
Is this the same bar that supports the e-brake cable?  I have not looked at other Birds/Cougars but my TC has the passenger ebrake cable tucked and clipped into a bar across the car from the driver side.

John

drive shaft safety brace

Reply #2
well,, its a c channel shaped bar that is directly underneath the rear passenger floor pan/s, goes across the transmission tunnel.

drive shaft safety brace

Reply #3
Interesting find Scott. The date on mine is 6/12/85 and while it is pretty close, it pre-dates my cars actual build date of 6/19/85.

X
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

drive shaft safety brace

Reply #4
so it seems like yours has "raised lettering"
?
both of mine are stamped into the steel

drive shaft safety brace

Reply #5
Mine is stamped as well, same as yours.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed