Skip to main content
Topic: swapped out the dull, dim, trunk lid light (Read 910 times) previous topic - next topic

swapped out the dull, dim, trunk lid light

For something a little brighter and unique::hick:

took forever to rig up the wiring to get the factory switch to work with it.  I pretty much had to make a socket to plug into where the bulb goes, to make it work like it is suppose to.

Reply #1
sswwwweeeet.  Looks great.  I might just try that myself... but with red to match my car.
===85BIRD===
:birdsmily:

Reply #2
on mine I just hack apart  the factory bulb socket. The base that the bulb goes into is a mercury switch. I hacked out the mercury switch and used it as the switch for the light. Looks good
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #3
I would have done that, but I dont want to hack anything on this car...  as you can see I didn't drill into the trunk lid to mount the light.  It is secured with heavy grade wire ties, that way it isn't permenant.  though I may make it that way if I really like it...

Reply #4
That's really cool looking
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
thanks... the pics dont do it justice...  it lights up my backyard at night...  they are really bright.

Reply #6
I was going to ask if it was really bright.
but I figured a bulb that long has to be.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
How much current can that circuit handle?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #8
I assume that is a kit made for cars but if not, put a 12v regulator on the power wire so you don't fry the inverter when opening the trunk while the car is running. I have a couple white 12" CCFL's tied to the torsion bars in the trunk that gets its power from a pinswitch which is also there for the alarm (magnetic switch died when powering a relay - I don't recommend them). It all works great and gives me plenty of light in the trunk, whether I'm laying it in or only putting items in there.

I didn't want tubes hanging out of the trunk for the very reason above - floods the area with light, possibly blinding motorists . I may do LED bars on the lid at some point. Dual 12" CCFL's can be had for $4-5 shipped often enough - its hard to go wrong (as long as you don't fry an inverter as I had 2 times). 12v regulator is like $2 from radioshack.

Now if only I could find a use for all the red 6" CCFL's I have sitting around also - they were too cheap to pass up. ;)
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #9
Quote from: bhazard;215133
How much current can that circuit handle?

Supposedly these things draw less than 100mA (specs typically show 5mA?) but I believe they are actually in the 300-500mA area depending on size and inverter. Either way, the circuit can handle quite a bit of power - I'd assume somewhere around 2-3amps before wire size may be an issue.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #10
Looks nice kinda of reminds me of my old set-up except a lot a lot brighter.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily: