Skip to main content
Topic: took a trip to the mountains for barn find (Read 1655 times) previous topic - next topic

took a trip to the mountains for barn find

back on 11/17/2009
I headed to the mountains, to see if a car was a T-BIRD OR COUGAR. the owner wasn't sure of the year:confused: or body but he said  it was a V8. It was about 40 miles in the mountains at his cabin. today it was in the 60's ,so figure that today was the best time to check it out.
 as you know! I have 1978 to 1984 four eye fox chassis  mustang coupe /convertible/hatch back plus a  bubble back capri and the Fairmonts/zephyrs/ cougar XR7 already in my collection. I'm missing the 80 to 82 thunderbird and 81 to 82 Granada! he only wanted  $200.00 for the car . so I figure  for tank of gas,I could go look at it and see if it was thunderbird to add to my collection?
 when we get there, the car is cover up so bad with stuff ,you couldn't make out the car. the  only way he stop putting stuff on top of her was because there a roof in the way. after clearing the  junk stuff off it!
we fine out, it a 1982 cougar, darn. but it  has a  only few bad bumps but it in sound shape. so we pull it out and load it up and head for town. it was a nice drive to the mountains :D

you can see some of the boards / planks/ carpet ,that was stored on top of her.

the inside was just as full of chain saws, box's, lights, other stuff.
after getting her home and giving her a bath.  lets take a look at her?

I change all the fluids and see how the 255:burnout: V8 and AOD tranny work because the last time she was on the road was before 11/2000 as by the tag on the plate's

so the reading off the buck tag is;
0079  604647  W9OL3H
RPPL    VWDM
AC    CLDGSR  LVYQ
DTJB53

ON THE DOOR
10/81
1MEBP90D0CH604647
3H exteriour paint. 53 DSO
BODY. INTER . A/C. AXLE. TRIM.
66,DYQ.JB.A.7.CY.TDDRR[/QUOTE]

on 11/20/2009
I  went out  and replace the carb. pre filled the carb with gas,  change the oil.  pre lube the engine. hit the key! she started right up and ran until the carb was empty. I know ,I had put 10 gallons of gas in the tank .when I got back to town. so I unhooked the rubber fuel hose from  the metal line under the brake booster. hook it up to my spare 1 gallon tank. prefilled the carb again. it started right up and ran again until  the carb ran out again. pick up the phone, to  see who had fuel pump for a 1982 cougar with a 255 V8.  well no one had one :mad:so I had to order it.
I figured ,if not going to get it running . so i pulled the front headlight header and  front bumper to work on the dent, on the driver front fender.

nothing like beating on metal to relive some stress.
  from what I can find ,the only rust is the front metal bumper under the bumper cover and the steel  trim, on the glass ,on the sun roof.trunk floor in some spots.
also look like, i just need the rear tail lights and front headlight header panel to make it road worthy.
 i wonder if a 80 TO 82 thunderbird header panel would work with my lower bumper cover and hood?

on 12/13/2009 
 I drove 250 miles round trip to Dearlodge, MT. to pay $10.00 for  pair of tail light's, $10.00 for replacement 16 gallon gas tank, $10.00 for grill. it was NICE winter day for a drive and it cost me about $80.00 fuel and $50.00 at a steak house  for me and my son.

12/31/2009
 I had fixed the dent in the driver front fender.
replace the junk filled 20 gallon gas tank with a super clean used 16 gallon tank. modify the 20 gallon tank straps to fit the 16 gallon, with longer bolts.
 replaced the fuel pump. the carburetor, the driver side spark plugs and all spark plug wires.
 unhook all the emissions stuff ,just to get her to run right. bump the timing up to 14* .
then put some snow tires  and the hub caps from tmy 1984 woody LTD WAGON, all the way around.
I replace the turning signal switch ,so they work now.
 took her for test drive. she runs ok but i need to look at the P/S to see why it turns funny and to see why the gas gauge not working all the time.
 this beater is going to be my work car.  this summer ,I plan to find some 3.73  or 4.11  gears and traction lock for the 7.5.

01/08/2010
I have been driving her for 2 weeks now and I have to say that her 255V8 has more poop than I remember them having. the factory rear gears are 3.08 and the rear tires are 1982 E78/14 studded snow tires, that can pass for something off a farm tractor. front studded snow tires  are 185/75/14 . i have flushed the stearing pump and rack, so it work now.
 she sit's out side all day at work but when she home .she  sits inside a unheated shop.  with two pumps of the fun pedal, she starts right up. even when it was  -20* the other day. I still have some little things to take care of but nothing that can be fix in time,like the now none working fuel gauge.
 she show's 38547 on her. she don't smoke. run's nice and drive smooth. so spring time, I'm thinking,  a wax job and some nice  15" GT mustang rims would be fine.
so this is my work car, rain or shine or snowy days. not bad for for less than $350.00, don't you think?
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Reply #1
For $350, very nice!

I was never a fan of the square fox Thunderbird, but the Cougar, with the slanted rear quarter window looks much better.

Nice!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #2
Nice score.Cheap too.When I have money......no cars.When I don't have money.....there they are.I know where an '87 T-Bird LX is,5.0 and all,for $250.00.I just don't have the funds or way to transport it right now,or I'd have it here.It has an excellent body and interior,but the lights need work.Otherwise,nice.It's silver.I may try to get it somehow and if nothing else,part it out for a profit.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
I'm jealous nice find man. Sounds like its another great addition to your already large collection.

Reply #4
Sweet, eventually I'm gonna get one of those.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

14' rims tring to kill me!

Reply #5
the 14 inch rims where driving my nuts because as the car was going down the road . it would DIVE left or right at Radom times. it was not drifting like a old farm truck, where you have to turn the wheel back and forth to keep it going straight. this car would dive, I keep the stearing wheel straight and all sudden  car would be in the other lane or off the road.:o
I had work, look at the alignment and  it was with in specs. so I was thinking maybe those biases tires where doing it. so I swap on these 10 hole rims with 205/65/15 Goodyear triple tread tires on so I could see it it was the tires and not the stearing rack.
 now she gos straight down the road. yes!

so here some photos with  the 10 holes on her. what do you think? this car kind a growing on me
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Reply #6
Much better.How about a burnout shot.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
I really do despise you...
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #8
The ten holes look alot better! I drove my Dad's 67 Fairlaine with bias plys on it, it followed every crack in the road. It drives alot better with the raidials.