Skip to main content
Topic: More job cuts imminent @ Ford... (Read 2408 times) previous topic - next topic

More job cuts imminent @ Ford...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8425699.stm

Carmaker Ford has offered incentive packages to all of its 41,000 US hourly workers in a bid to reduce its factory costs.

The company has more workers than it needs to produce cars at current sales levels, said spokesman Mark Truby.

It is not known how many workers Ford expects to take the packages.

Ford employed 89,000 people in the US at the start of 2009, but that number has dropped to 80,200 through buyouts and layoffs.

The buyout package, offered to workers with at least a year of service, includes $50,000 (£31,167) cash and either a $25,000 voucher to buy a Ford vehicle or $20,000 extra cash.

Retirement-eligible workers can take the buyout but must wait up to 18 months before retiring.

The retirement package includes $40,000 for skilled and $20,000 for non-skilled employees.

Earlier this year, 1,000 workers took similar packages, the company said in July.

Workers have until 22 January to accept the offer.

Ford announced profits of almost $1bn between July and September thanks to increased market share and a successful cost-cutting programme.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1
It kinda seems ot me that companies are begining to find ways to operate without as many employees. Through the recession and all they had to make do with what they can afford, if they once had persay 20 employees and laid of half or more to get through the tough times, it seems they have adjusted to this and are making due. Which is kinda scarey.

Reply #2
I would take the 70k and move.......
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #4
Quote from: 88turbo;303605
I guess my dreams of someday working for ford are out the window :(

I predict the qty of skilled workers in this country will spiral to never before seen lows within the next decade.  A lot of the skilled workers are of a time where the company was thier safety net.

today, its not the same.

in 10 years,, I think the guy who is able to bang on nails / turn wrenches / get dirty ect will be making bank.

the economy will flip around and when it does.,, all the fat ass play station kids of today are hunting work, they wont have the ambition nor the ability to do what the industry calls for nor the capacity to sweat.

I remember a day when high school kids did the jobs that illegals do today.  Somehow, working on a farm bailing hay or picking vegies ect is shamful work. 

either way, ford will come around as you can see they are attempting to adjust to the sales.  I for one see for coming to terms with another challenge shortly though.