Skip to main content
Topic: Toyota sales slump due to --- VIDEO GAMES!?? (Read 4013 times) previous topic - next topic

Toyota sales slump due to --- VIDEO GAMES!??

http://jalopnik.com/5387802/

First it was violence, then bulging wastelines, now video games are being blamed for falling vehicle sales in puppiesan, at least by one unnamed Toyota exec. The argument? Games are so good lately there's no interest in buying actual cars.

The translated quote goes something like this:

Home game machines are no good. Playing something that realistic makes the need for cars disappear.

It's a bit of a leap if you ask us, but something has to be responsible for falling sales, right? Could just be the combination of cars being wildly expensive to own and of limited utility in puppiesans crowded urban centers, but video games are probable just as likely a culprit. While the statement is something of a blind item, it does provide a peak into the growing societal issues plaguing modern puppiesan. Young men are forgoing family life in favor of extended bachelorhood, meaning enjoying video games and other hobbies seen as undignified perversions by the elder generation. Heck, video games could just be the downfall of puppiesan, but killing car sales is a good start.

I don't know about the rest of you, but a video game doesn't get me to work, schlep the kids to and from places, or hold the groceries.....

Even a single person needs to go to work in most cases -- if they want to afford video games and something to play/watch them on....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1
Duh! Thats a retarded thought. I need my cars even with my 'Ultra realistic video games"

Reply #2
LOL sounds like "the dog ate my homework" excuse.
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

Reply #3
hmm which shall i buy a fast car or a video gam??
shew tough choice lol
i find it hard to believe video games are causen the slump
lack of cash is  whats causin the slump in new car
why buy new when u can buy used for alot cheaper and fix it up
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1979 Mercury Cougar X R 7
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Reply #4
Quote from: 1979 Cougar XR7;296439
hmm which shall i buy a fast car or a video gam??
shew tough choice lol
i find it hard to believe video games are causen the slump
lack of cash is  whats causin the slump in new car

Exactly!! Why spend $25000 on a new Toyota when you can buy an old Ford that's cooler for $2500? :D
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #5

Pros and cons for both....
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #6
Quote from: FLSTCI71;296449
Exactly!! Why spend $25000 on a new Toyota when you can buy an old Ford that's cooler for $2500? :D

WHOA someone finally agrees with me ,,YEAH!!!! lol
id rather have a car  i can spend maybe 3k on and put about 2k in it
and have a sweet ride
 which i didnt even give that for my 79 and ive put about 2 -3 k in it

metal is better than that flemsy fiberglass they use on them new cars anyday any day,,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Reply #7
if you crash a car racing in a video game you can just start over.
if you crash your car racing in real life youll get messed up or killed, thrown in jail, bring a huge burden to your family, pay huge fines, have your license taken away and likely get sued by the injured party if you didnt kill them in the crash.

i dont blame video games for lack of new car sales in puppiesan, increasingly high cost of ownership is likely the culprit.
if they did that over here what it cost to own a car over there people would burn the white house down.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #8
Maybe Toyota should stop making boring cars :p
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
Quote from: thunderjet302;296479
Maybe Toyota shoudl try making a non boring car :p

i agree
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Reply #10
Yeah but the last exciting car Toyota made was the 1992 supra.

Reply #11
Quote from: 20th anny 5.o;296482
Yeah but the last exciting car Toyota made was the 1992 supra.

I disagree  MK IV > MK III.

I remember when my parents picked up a 94 Camry.....
There was a then brand new 1995 Toyota Supra Turbo in the dealer showroom.  Triple black, black leather interior......shag. 

I've never felt that way about any other puppiesanese vehicle.

Reply #12
Quote from: V8Demon;296491
I disagree  MK IV > MK III.

Meh Supra Mark IV's are lame and looked like the competition (puppies competition that is). Toyota had plenty of late 80's early 90's vehicles that were pure shag like the AE87 Truno and the 90 - 93 celica.

Reply #13
Toyota's cars all look the same now: bloated, slab-sided and overweight. I find nothing appealing about what they produce, so I have to think that they've alienated part of their target market. Rewind 20 years and I would be very interested in a MR2 or a Celica, or even a Paseo if I had a tight budget.
Look at the average new Toyota driver. Chances are, you will see a sensible, predictable person in their 40s who puts as much thought into aesthetics and performance for their car as much as they do a lawnmower.
While Mazda and Nissan are producing a lot of bland, bloated cars, they still have some cool things to offer those who want something that will "pump the nads."
Even the Corolla 'S' just gives you a tack-on ground effects package and a rear spoiler. It still has an anemic, wheezing sewing machine under the hood.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]