Skip to main content
Topic: Prepare to be reamed: NYMEX opens electronic trading for special session... (Read 2680 times) previous topic - next topic

Prepare to be reamed: NYMEX opens electronic trading for special session...

Tell me the speculator's aren't controlling the prices of oil. NYMEX is opening electronic trading today at 2:30PM Eastern time to allow traders the opportunity to drive the price up in antition of hurricane damage. This is the first time the markets have ever been opened on a Sunday for the specific purpose of allowing investors to overreact early:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/31/markets/oil_trading_gustav/index.htm?postversion=2008083113

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The world oil market's reaction to the gathering threat of Hurricane Gustav will be put to the test in a special trading session on Sunday afternoon.
Electronic trading will begin several hours early at 2:30 p.m. ET, according to the CME Group, which runs the New York Mercantile Exchange and Globex electronic trading system.
This is the first time that NYMEX has extended trading for an emergency.
"We wanted to provide [traders] with the opportunity to respond to the storm's potential impact to energy markets as quickly as possible," said Bryan Durkin, chief operating officer of CME Group, which runs the NYMEX.
Electronic trading on Sunday normally begins at 6 p.m. ET, coinciding with trading in Asia. Floor trading in New York will remain closed as scheduled on Sunday. Monday's trading will continue as scheduled: Floor trading closed for Labor Day but investors able to trade electronically throughout the day.
"In times of emergency, it is very important to have the markets opened," said Esa Ramasamy, director of market reporting for energy buttstuffysis group Platts. "People need to protect their positions if they're exposed to market changes."
Gustav, a Category 3 storm after raking through Cuba on Saturday, is expected to strengthen as it gets closer to the U.S. coast. Forecasters predict it will touch land as early Monday.
On Friday, U.S. crude for October delivery fell 13 cents to settle at $115.46 a barrel. Prices rose as high as $118.76 during the day as Gustav bore down on the Gulf, but then pulled back as the dollar gained strength against the 15-nation euro - a move that typically pulls oil prices lower.
Major site of oil production
Facilities in the Gulf account for about 25% of U.S. oil production, pumping 1.3 million barrels of oil a day to refineries on the Gulf Coast. Offs platforms and pipelines buried in the sea bed are vulnerable to extreme storms such as hurricanes.
As of Sunday afternoon, 77% of oil production in the Gulf has been halted, according to Ramasamy. Oil companies such as Shell (RDSA) and BP (BP) said they were completing evacuations of their drilling personnel and many have completely shut down and secured their drilling platforms, the Associated Press reported.
Three years ago, Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated oil facilities before battering the Louisiana coast. The storms, which reached Category 5 strength before making landfall, destroyed 113 offs oil and natural gas platforms and damaged 457 pipelines in 2005. Since then, the oil industry has improved its safety measures, and believes it is better prepared for large storms entering the Gulf.
So far, about 15% of total U.S. refining capacity has already been shut down, according to Ramasamy. AP reported that Exxon Mobil (XOM, Fortune 500) and Valero (VLO, Fortune 500) have shut down refineries. Shell conformed it has shut down one refinery and is slowing production at others. Other smaller refiners have shut down locations in Louisiana, and AP reported that ConocoPhillips (COP, Fortune 500) is reducing its refining production in the region.
"That 15% looks small, but bear in mind that the U.S. is a huge country," Ramasamy said. "That's about 2.4 million barrels that have been lost, which would normally go as far as the Atlantic coast states and the Midwest. By Tuesday, places as far as Chicago will feel the impact of this."
There are only 150 refineries in the United States, about a third of which are located in the Gulf Coast region. But other refiners may not be able to pick up the slack from the shuttered Louisiana producers.
"Most refiners are already operating at full capacity, so the others won't be able to meet much of the shortfall," said Ramasamy.
As a result, if the storm does make a direct hit on Gulf facilities, the Energy Department said Thursday it was prepared to release supplies from the government's 700 million barrel Strategic Petroleum Reserve to cushion the blow. After Katrina and Rita, the government opened up the SPR for just the fourth time in history, shipping off just 11 million barrels to refiners.
Consumers will feel the pain
Gas prices have already started to rise as workers on offs oil rigs abandoned ship and residents fled their homes. The national average price of gasoline rose for a third day straight to $3.687, motorist group AAA reported on Sunday.
The price increase was most dramatic in Louisiana, where prices rose a bit more than 2 cents a gallon. Texas saw prices rise almost 2 cents. Mississippi's price increase was close behind, rising 1.6 cents a gallon. Gas rose by 1.4 cents a gallon in the coastal cities of Biloxi, Gulfport and Pascagoula.

Bend over, here it comes again...:punchballs:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #1
Well my wife just started a new; higher paying job so why not?!  I mean every time I think we're about to get ahead just a bit more something like this comes along......

I quit smoking in January.....completely. 

The money I've saved in tobacco products and then some now goes into my gastank. 

Have these speculators (otherwise known as [COLOR="Red"]closet share holders[/COLOR]) seen the news reports about people with 4 and 5 kids having a hard enough time even buying those kids school supplies this year?

My wife is fortunate this year because her school is 100 yards from the Utica Ave stop along the #4 NYC subway.  No car commute anymore.  I wonder how long before the MTA raises their monthly ticket rates again though.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
My brother works on Wall Street and he agrees. There are some other factors but for the most part the speculating should stop.

Reply #3
Rather surprisingly, the move backfired. Oil dropped nearly $5. When the special trading session had opened it jumped $3 within seconds, but actually ended up down almost $5 on the day (*EDIT* I've just checked and it's actually down $10, to $105). I shall never understand investors.

Even though oil dropped, I am still pissed off over the fact that they opened a special trading session, hoping oil would jump in the face of an imminent national disaster. Every other sector of the stock market has curbs in place to prevent investor overreaction (for example, NYSE was closed for several days after 9/11), but NYMEX actually tried to provoke hysteria.

Naturally, Opec, who has been maintaining for over a year that they'd be happy with $60 oil, is now going to be holding a meeting on September 9th and is expected to cut production in order to support $100+/barrel...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
It's funny too, the same people who started a war in an attempt to control oil prices (through stabilizing supply) refuse to step in and do something about the speculators who are spitting in their face and driving our economy down! Huh? :hick:

Hypocrisy 101

Oh, and I'm SOOO glad that Gustav was much less damaging than predicted - whew!
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.