Skip to main content
Topic: They're (finally) coming: Ford to retool US plants to build Euro-spec vehicles (Read 8002 times) previous topic - next topic

They're (finally) coming: Ford to retool US plants to build Euro-spec vehicles

Looks like Ford is finally serious about bringing the good stuff over here:

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Car maker Ford Motor Co is drawing up plans to retool American plants to make small, fuel-efficient passenger cars that it mainly makes and sells in Europe, the Wall Street Journal reported on Saturday.
      The paper said Ford has looked at bringing over European models, including the mid-size Mondeo, in response to high fuel costs that have hit sales of larger, fuel-hungry trucks and sport utility vehicles.
      Citing people familiar with the matter, the WSJ said portions of this move could be announced on Thursday when the Dearborn, Michigan-based company reports second-quarter results.
      In June, Ford announced it would slash output this year by eliminating shifts, slowing assembly lines and idling truck plants. The car maker said further details on its revised restructuring plan would be provided when it released its second-quarter results.
      In an e-mail response to a request for comment on the WSJ report, Ford spokesman Mark Truby said the company would not release details of its plans before Thursday.
      "We won't comment on speculation on what we may or may not announce in advance," he said.
      (Reporting by Nick Carey, editing by Eric Beech)
http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN1935873320080719

Somebody at Ford is finally starting to realize why Ford of Europe makes money while Ford of North America is bleeding itself white. Really, any company that thinks that the Crown Vic/Grandma Marquis and Five Hundred are sufficient to present to its customers needs any help it can get...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #1
Theres nothing wrong with the crown vic other than they made to many. But i do want a Focus ST but when do we get the fords form Australia? because as far as ford goes Europe is only 2nd best and australia gets the best stuff and USA gets the left over fords but thank god we know how to fix them up and we all got a Ford Racing catalog or other aftermarket parts books.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #2
wow, I might actually buy a new Ford in a couple years.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
Carmen, I can't believe I'm telling you this, but we've had at least two other threads about Ford building Euro cars in their retooled and idling truck plants. :p

Reply #4
Quote from: Carpimp1987;228357
Theres nothing wrong with the crown vic other than they made to many. But i do want a Focus ST but when do we get the fords form Australia? because as far as ford goes Europe is only 2nd best and australia gets the best stuff and USA gets the left over fords but thank god we know how to fix them up and we all got a Ford Racing catalog or other aftermarket parts books.

You've got to be kidding. Nothing wrong with the Crown Vic? A 30-year-old platform, full-frame dinosaur with a V8 that barely puts out more power than most four cylinders and can't even touch any modern V6 (including Ford's own 3.5/3.7) trying to compete against other vehicles that are updated almost annually? You're right they made too many - every one made since about 1993 was one too many.

Australia gets some cool cars, but that only appeals to car guys. For the other 99% of the car buying public (the people Ford must appeal to) Europe gets the better, more modern cars. If Ford sales relied only on people buying their inferior products, then spending their own time and money to improve the car to the point it should have been when it left the showroom floor (and voiding their warranty in the process), Ford would have been gone years ago.

Remember, Pimpster - we like 20+ year old Fords. Ford does not, and can not, care about making cars that get us all damp down below. They need to appeal to the modern "bread-and-butter" car buyer, the one that would otherwise buy a Camry or Accord. This is something they haven't done since 1995, and is exactly why they are in so much trouble.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
Quote from: oldraven;228370
Carmen, I can't believe I'm telling you this, but we've had at least two other threads about Ford building Euro cars in their retooled and idling truck plants. :p

Yeah, but not in this section :flip:

I know I'd read that Ford was bringing the Euro cars here, but I don't remember reading that they'd actually be building 'em here. If it was mentioned in other threads it's likely after I lost interest ;)

Reply #6
great, parking lot spots are already small enough for me.  now they can pull in those lines another foot or two.

Reply #7
Adding a little more info...some additional news today:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080722/ford_smallcar.html?.v=2

BANGALORE (Reuters) - U.S. car company Ford Motor Co (NYSE:F - News) is about to alter its focus drastically and build more small cars, the New York Times said on Tuesday, citing people familiar with the plans.

Ford will make the announcement on Thursday, when it releases quarterly results, the newspaper said.

The company is expected to announce that it will convert three of its North American assembly plants from trucks to cars, according to the sources, the paper said.

Ford will realign factories to make more fuel-efficient engines and produce six of its next European car models for the United States market, it added.

The company will also make its Mercury brand an integral part of its new small-car strategy, the newspaper said, citing the sources, who did not want to be named because of the timing of the official announcement on Thursday.

A Ford spokesman did not return a telephone call seeking comment.

(Reporting by Varsha Tickoo in Bangalore; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

So if this holds true, this confirms that SIX new Euro-spec models will be built here. That is a LOT of product to shift from one continent to another at one time. I have faith that Ford can do it, and that the labor force is ready. Still, you have to wonder if they're going to have any major hiccups along the way.

In any case, it might also lead to more jobs and/or a recall of those recently laid off at Ford. That would probably be the most wonderful news in quite some time for the company. It's happening at GM with the Cobalt/G5 locally, with 1400 new workers getting hired for the third shift, and another 240 hired for permanent replacement of retired workers. This is going to hugely affect our local economy.

So in a roundabout way, Europe can potentially give a huge economic boost to North America, at least in the Ford production world. And it also appears that Mercury might be on the leading edge of that boost, again, if the news is true. How ironic would it be that Mercury's long-time cash cow (Grand Marquis) would almost doom the company, and the division would be saved by imported small cars? The New Edge guys are getting ready to say, "I told you so!"... ;)

Reply #8
I see Ford stock rising as we speak. :)

More on that Mercury as small car brand topic.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-convert-suv-plants-focus-mercury-on-small-cars.html

... and the original topic.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/21/ford-to-retool-u-s-plant-for-european-vehicles/

Reply #9
So Ford looks like making Mercury into Saturn. GM has done a complete 180 on Saturn, a division that was created to "design and build vehicles in the USA" that were supposed to bring import shoppers back into a domestic car. Now Saturn is being billed as GM's North American Opel outlet. It has resulted in some great cars (the Aura and Astra) but has not been particularly successful sales-wise.

Hopefully Mercury can do it better. I say this with mixed feelings, because as much as I'd like to see Mercury (and Ford) succeed, I still think Ford will screw this up. They'll end up bringing us "almost" Euro-cars. They'll look European but Ford will dumb them down for North America. They'll be afraid to offend "traditional" Ford buyers, so they'll turn the Mondeo into a Taurus. I hope I'm wrong, but history has a way of repeating itself...

Reply #10
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;228533
So Ford looks like making Mercury into Saturn. GM has done a complete 180 on Saturn, a division that was created to "design and build vehicles in the USA" that were supposed to bring import shoppers back into a domestic car. Now Saturn is being billed as GM's North American Opel outlet. It has resulted in some great cars (the Aura and Astra) but has not been particularly successful sales-wise.

Hopefully Mercury can do it better. I say this with mixed feelings, because as much as I'd like to see Mercury (and Ford) succeed, I still think Ford will screw this up. They'll end up bringing us "almost" Euro-cars. They'll look European but Ford will dumb them down for North America. They'll be afraid to offend "traditional" Ford buyers, so they'll turn the Mondeo into a Taurus. I hope I'm wrong, but history has a way of repeating itself...

Umm, of particular note, the Saturn, per se, is no longer built, period.  There will be no new Saturn models produced in the US.  The plant is gutted.  I know this from personal acquaintance and former colleague at the facility.  Strange feeling that gives me.  I designed, built, and installed the energy management system at the Saturn plant.  I've now seen the whole plant de-commissioned.  The plant is going to be re-tooled to build ANY GM vehicle.  That's right ANY GM vehicle, including Corvette, according to my source.  The Corvette will only be assembled there, but there will be some small (mid-size/compact) cars produced there eventually.  Who knows what, though.  There was also hearsay about a truck/bus division being built, but that's been scuttlebutt for years, at least 10 years that I personally know of.

This is not to say that GM won't do something weird like ressurrect the Opel/Olds brands through the facility.  Who knows what the heck they're going to do.  Unless we start thinking like the Europeans, though, and start hunting that 40-45 mpg, the few oil executives will continue to get richer while our vehicles continue to cost us more than a new car payment for one tank of fuel.  We have an '06 Chevy C2500 cargo van at work.  It cost $99, exactly, to fill that thing up last time I drove it.  Profitable vehicles will be the smaller models with higher MPG as long as fuel costs are high.  I don't hold much hope for any penitent lowering of fuel prices in the near future.  The only way fuel prices will drop is if demand for it is sharply reduced.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Reply #11
They'll most likely build the new Opels here, as Saturns. Still, there will be a new Saturn assembled in North America, since shipping them is driving the prices up too far as it is. Global Harmonisation is the best thing to happen to the domestic market in 20 years, if you ask me.

Reply #12
Quote from: Old_Paint;228557
Umm, of particular note, the Saturn, per se, is no longer built, period.  There will be no new Saturn models produced in the US.  The plant is gutted.  I know this from personal acquaintance and former colleague at the facility.  Strange feeling that gives me.  I designed, built, and installed the energy management system at the Saturn plant.  I've now seen the whole plant de-commissioned.  The plant is going to be re-tooled to build ANY GM vehicle.  That's right ANY GM vehicle, including Corvette, according to my source.  The Corvette will only be assembled there, but there will be some small (mid-size/compact) cars produced there eventually.  Who knows what, though.  There was also hearsay about a truck/bus division being built, but that's been scuttlebutt for years, at least 10 years that I personally know of.

This is not to say that GM won't do something weird like ressurrect the Opel/Olds brands through the facility.  Who knows what the heck they're going to do.  Unless we start thinking like the Europeans, though, and start hunting that 40-45 mpg, the few oil executives will continue to get richer while our vehicles continue to cost us more than a new car payment for one tank of fuel.  We have an '06 Chevy C2500 cargo van at work.  It cost $99, exactly, to fill that thing up last time I drove it.  Profitable vehicles will be the smaller models with higher MPG as long as fuel costs are high.  I don't hold much hope for any penitent lowering of fuel prices in the near future.  The only way fuel prices will drop is if demand for it is sharply reduced.

You're preaching to the choir - I was a Saturn mechanic from 93-99. As far as I'm concerned, Saturn died when the last S-series rolled off the line in Springhill, TN in 2002. The L-series was the beginning of the end (it had plastic panels but was an Opel underneath, including drivetrains). From then on it was Badge Engineering. GM decided that its "different kind of company" was just too different, so Saturn was assimilated. Resistance was futile, so to speak. Instead of an import-alternative division it became an Oldsmobile replacement. Saturn cars were always quite Oldsmobile-esque in appearance anyway.

That was actually my point. GM took Saturn and turned it into an import outlet. Saturn is no longer Saturn, it's Opel with a funny badge. The effort has not been a sales success. I'm envisioning *but not hoping for* a similar failure for Mercury...

Reply #13
I think our Vue is one of the very last models with plastic panels. Was there another, besides the '04 update? I'm not all that upset about the change. I always liked Opels much more than I did Saturns. Some times a half inch panel gap is just too much panel gap.

Reply #14
Kids will buy anything these days so i can't wait for a Focus ST in that nice Orange color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeXr50LNJfM

Plus if you go watch a few videos it does keep up with the 350Z and some other high dollar cars. So since i could almost careless what the gas mileage is i think it might be a nice car to fixed up and add some more power to.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily: