Skip to main content
Topic: stuttering 86 f150? (Read 540 times) previous topic - next topic

stuttering 86 f150?

so i bought an 86 ford f150 single cab 4X2.  no frills what so ever.  its ganna be my new daily so i can tear the front end of the bird apart while still able to make it dr appointments and work. the interior is nearly cherry.  its got lots of skin cancer im not looking to fixed unless its in the floor which i check and didnt see any.

anyway i had a u-joint go out in the thundrbird, and the imbalance under throttle.  well it somewhat feels like that but it seems more a engine problem like a fouled plug or 2.  when its been sitting it'll accell just fine, but once heat gets into the truck it starts the stuttering

and i just realized what im forgetting, its a 351ci (which will prolly end up in the bird)  and i was told, dont know if its true, that 86 was the first year for EFI 351.  of course when it goes in the bird, it'll be carbed.  anyone got a place that you'd check first aside plugs, wires, and distributor.  it runs ok i just has vibration.  its only got 161K miles on it.  if i could pull code that would help you guys so if you know how to get the codes from an 86 f150 that would help too.

700 is what i paid, the truck is in great shape except the bed and part of the driverside.

if you have info on getting an efi running right, PM me.  anyone with the knowledge a f`150 pm me please
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

stuttering 86 f150?

Reply #1
Stuck or sticking injector would be the next thing I would check. Has it been sitting for a while?
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

stuttering 86 f150?

Reply #2
Not to dampen your hopes, a buddy had a '88 F250 with the 351 and never did get it to run right... Had good compression(I verified that) so, he replaced the injectors and did a full tune up, with wires, plugs, cap, still skipped(I verified the work was OK)... I'm guessing the cam was worn, but we never went inside it... He finally got pissed off and sold it...

Check for vacuum leaks, then pull the plugs, possibly it hasn't been tuned up lately...

stuttering 86 f150?

Reply #3
as far as getting a new tune up thats defiantly going to be fix i dont feel its any difference (in symptoms at least.)  dont this windsor motors have a lot of used parts to up the power dont they?  i think the junk yard might be my home haha  i'll prolly end up woth a port and polish anyway but thats when its the bird.  while she's down i can fix everything to run like hell and looks good

does anyone know if myf150 traclock (it seems) fit the with no welding?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)