Skip to main content
Topic: PHAT tires. (Read 2882 times) previous topic - next topic

PHAT tires.

When I bought the '88 a couple months ago, I knew it would need tires pretty soon, they were pretty thin and not the right size to begin with. (215/65-15s) And cheap off brand  at that.

So I debated with myself over what to get as I plan to go to larger wheels next year anyway. So I researched and justified and counter justified for weeks and finally decided, "Piss on it. Get a good set of tires. That way if plans change you've got good rubber on it. And if plans don't change, the rims will be worth more with good rubber on them."

So, today the cat got new shoes. Dunlop GT Qualifiers all the way around. 235/60-15s front and 275/50-15s rear. They feel great and it corners SOOO much betterer now. :D

I'll see if I can get some pics up later, but to be honest, with the ground effects you really can't see a difference.

PHAT tires.

Reply #1
Wait... you put 275's on Turbines?

.... Those have to bulge like crazy....
Willpower is no match for Horsepower.

PHAT tires.

Reply #2
I had 255s on some turbines once. They "ballooned" pretty bad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PHAT tires.

Reply #3
Yikes...too wide for a 7" wheel.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

PHAT tires.

Reply #4
Yeah, they are balloned a bit but I'll give it some treadwear tests over the next couple weeks and see if there's any adverse effects. Actually, though, an old friend had 295s on a mustang GT with turbines and they did ok. I was originally looking for 245 or 255s but no one makes them anymore. Also 275 gave me as close to the original cirspoogeference as anything else.

PHAT tires.

Reply #5
Yeah those things will die quick.  Good luck with that.  275's were just about right on my 9" wheels.
Willpower is no match for Horsepower.

PHAT tires.

Reply #6
Quote from: *MAYHEM*;113524
Also 275 gave me as close to the original cirspoogeference as anything else.

I didn't know that width dictated cirspoogeference?

PHAT tires.

Reply #7
The fact that they are 275/50 is what determines that they are the right cirspoogeference. Check the post with the tire size calculator and you will see that the 275/50/15 is within 1% of original diameter/cirspoogeference

PHAT tires.

Reply #8
Ok... If your basing original cirspoogeference on what though?  I was confused first because 275 is the number for the width and should have nothing to do with height or cirspoogeference.

Now, what series tires did the car have stock?  I'm just curious because I was thinking they were at least 60 and I didn't realize a 50 and a 60 were that close when you figure out the overall height.

PHAT tires.

Reply #9
Both  275 and 50 determine sidewall. The 50 is the percentage of the width for  the sidewall height. So its 50% of 275mm.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

PHAT tires.

Reply #10
D'oh!  Now I understand.  I was thinking for some reason that the 50 was a ratio of the inside (rim size) and outside diameter of the tire.  Sorry for all the corn-fusion.

PHAT tires.

Reply #11
Quote from: David;113558
Yeah those things will die quick. Good luck with that. 275's were just about right on my 9" wheels.
They only gotta last til May. Everything is gonna change then. Looking at 315/35-17s on a 10" rim for the back, 265/40-17s on 8" front.

PHAT tires.

Reply #12
you guys are funny.. you worry to much years ago they did make wider rims well you could but they where very expensive and they needed to use what they had and needed to use larger tires and never had a problem..  i've had 295/50/15's on stock 10 holes for two years and now i put the 10 holes back on and i'm useing 275/60/15's i'm not saying that i could go any larger..

besides if it has anything to do with handling you would'nt want to use 15 inch rims anyway  but for street racing and crusing people do it all the time. i've seen guys at the track run low 10's back in the 90's and used stock 10 holes and just studed them and where useing  from 9-11" slicks and never had a problem

heres some pictures with the 295's

i don't have any pictures of my car with the 10 holes and the 275/60/15's
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

PHAT tires.

Reply #13
I knew when I saw "Blown306Cougar" as the last post that I'd see these pics again.