Skip to main content
Topic: torque box reinforcement , subframe connectors & more. (Read 1058 times) previous topic - next topic

torque box reinforcement , subframe connectors & more.

Guys my body has kinda given up for my car building and wrenching racing years so im going to put what i have done and learned over 40+ years of doing that into something i have a deep love and passion for and as fox tbird owners we are shunned because its not a mustang and everyone thinks that mustang aftermarket parts bolt on i know better and call that bs. Guys i know its the bird forum but i have the same issue with 70 71 torinos and i bleed blue and piss type f and im putting my years of engineering in the corporate world to use designing parts that you can buy take out of the box and they bolt on. These parts will be made in tool& die shops and welding shops that have been in business for years and built my fixtures and tooling i designed for cnc machines they will be under a brand name. The first parts are going to be sold to the members of this forum thr torino forum and the 460 forum. I feel the people who have helped me over the years and share my passion for these type of cars will be taken care of first as my way of saying thank you!  I have to say im not doing this to build a empire or get rich im simply making parts that fit like they should because the company's that make parts are interested in profit and these are small markets with little profit. My first parts for the torino's will be shipping by the beginning of next week and are subframe connectors running small batch orders at first. Parts that im going to offer for the tbirds are going to be lower torque box reinforcements upper box reinforcements subframe connectors weld on and bolt on i also have rear brake mounting plates to be able to run 4 piston calipers of your choice  and mount to 8.8 and 9 inch fords engine torque limiters for small & big blocks i have others also just trying to give you guys a idea. If anyone has anything the would like to see made please let me know. I will post shorty with email address
Again guys thanks for the forum
Steve Dickinson

Reply #1
Guys i forgot to add if you know of a supplier that makes any of the above parts and if there made already i might reconsider making those parts
Thanks,
Steve

Reply #2
Global West makes some nice weld in subframes for our cars (I have them on my Coupe and Bird) however they do not make the seat reinforcements for them like they do for the Mustangs.  Would be nice to have them for sure.
http://www.globalwest.net/1980-88thunderbird.html

North Racecars makes a slew of rear brake caliper brackets so you may want to check them out.
http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html

Not saying they are cheap but both make these products.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #3
Subframe connectors with seat braces would be pretty sweet. Also has anyone tried remaking turbocoupe parking brake brackets?
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #4
I need frame connectors for my Thunderbird and will need them for my son's 1970 torino. Interested to see what you come up with.
1988 LX, 306 with GT40P heads, Downs Upper Intake on Truck Lower, Powerdyne Supercharger and T5 swap.  Scavenger Hunt Build at it's best.

Reply #5
Any info. Other recommendations.
1988 LX, 306 with GT40P heads, Downs Upper Intake on Truck Lower, Powerdyne Supercharger and T5 swap.  Scavenger Hunt Build at it's best.

Reply #6
Guys let me apologize for being gone so long I have been working on the weld on and bolt on subframe connectors for the 68 - 71 Torino cyclone type chassis weld on connectors are available the bolt version for that chassis are being tested and will be the next for sale. The brake brackets for the 8.8 with the capability of using a 4 piston caliper are drawn and loaded to cnc ready to be made pricing has not been set yet either these are machined from aluminum to work with 4 piston calipers with a 5.250 bolt pattern it allows you to run 11 ⅜ dia disc with the caliper manufacture of your choice with the wheel dia still being 15 inch. The lower torque box bolt in reinforcements brackets for the 83/88 t-birds are done and will be making a small run of these shortly. Currently working on drawings for upper bolt in reinforcements for the 83/88 t-birds. The subframe connectors for the 83/88 t-birds will be bolt on and have the seat braces brackets that was the intention to start with these are mocked up but I’m not happy with them. I have a few ideas on how to change them to make a true Saturday or Sunday afternoon bolt on!
I also have the drawings for the torque limiter for the t-bird with the 385 base engines almost done.
Guy’s let me say first thanks for the inquiries and there will be a new email address to contact me as it has become a little to time consuming to try to post and reply on the forums with the current workload and as slow as i type!!!!! Please try to understand this a started very quickly and with just myself to handle everything it doesn't take long to get backed up with replies and R/D work so if i don't answer I'm asking to just be patient as we get the bugs worked out of the what when where and how to give back to the cars and owners the products that should be on the market already but we all don't own mustang's do we.
Thanks,
Steve D.

Reply #7
Steve is sending me a set of frame connectors for our Torino project now. I wish I had the time to wait for the T-bird set. I will report on the fit, etc. when we install them come spring.

Reply #8
Steve-
Personally, I think bolt on SFC's for the TBirds are going to be a waste of time, but that's just me.

You probably have seat braces figured out already, but HERE are some files for the TBird SFC seat braces that I did up when we did these for Kenny Brown 15+ years ago.

Good luck!
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #9
I'm not product bashing as it's just my opinion but I share Chuck's sentiments about bolt on subframe connectors. They just do not stiffen the chassis like welded in full length subframe connectors. I know a lot of folks do not weld but a person can completely prep the car for them to be welded in at the house on jack stands and then tKe them to an exhaust shop and typically they will weld them in. This is what I did on both my cars I have now and one other ('85 TC) that is long sold.

Some manufacturers of bolt in subframe connects say you can weld them as well but they miss the design of a welded in connector. You would also need to use inserts in the subframes of the car to keep from crushing them. Basically to do it "right" you spend about as much time as welding a set in and they are not near as stiff as the welded units.

Again, it's just my opinion and you might have a better design than I have seen for the Fox cars.

Reply #10
Lets get another thread started on this and not step on the OP's thread any further.