Skip to main content
Topic: new exhaust shooping around (plus pics) (Read 1046 times) previous topic - next topic

new exhaust shooping around (plus pics)

Hey everyone  its beens a little while im a member here and never got a chance to post pics but todays its a bout to change (got a new camera) anyways i got a 1986 bird with the 3.8 engine and my exhaust is completely shot  so i decided to put on a true duals  and today i got  to visit two places first one i got a bad experience  they guy was arrogant and absolutely wanted to give me a y pipe  the most ironic is that there was an 88 bird with a 408 in the shop and no one seemed to care about it  he referred me to a guy  wich i liked his attitude was positive and he has  alot of experience in sheetmetal and has a custom exhaust shop  but  idk about you guys in the states but here in montreal canada its expensive as hell i got quoted at 1600$  1400 without the cats lol  and i payed my car 800$ imagine  anyways i was warned that it may cost alot out here  i wish i lived near vinnie he once told me an exhaust goes around 300$ where he lives  anyways  due to the fuel filter thats bolted exactly where the second ler is supposed to go he suggested me some hushpower lers  that are less large and could fit  but can i relocate the filter(pics included) or i cant according to coolcats 1985- 1985 3.8 cars have a fuel filter/pump outside the tank that cannot be relocated.  just wanna make sure i dont have this type anyways  feel free to comment  and i need your advices  thanx fellas  ps  he also suggested to go with 2inch pipes or else its gonna kill the back pessure and lose power according to him  he is also fabricating an H pipe

http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/uu96/1986elan/

Reply #1
i inserted an image url but its not showing  thats weird

Reply #3
upload the image to http://www.imageshack.us
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #4
That's an insane amount of money for an exhaust.How much is that in American $$$?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
i know vinnie its ridiculous but  its the only shop that seems to make sens right now the guy got under and all  i mean the 1st shop didnt even look at the car and got out a  manual (i guess for ordering parts) he even said ur car is old  how ironic  there was an older camaro in the shop  then i called another place  and they referred me to a not specialzed at all shop  sikes i love the united states    here everything is pricey

Reply #7
did you try a masterler? they were the most expensive when I got quoted for a cat back stock exhaust, for about 1/10th what you were quoted...

You can buy that stuff online for less. Although I'm not sure if you could get it specifically for a 3.8 cougar. Try looking for 2 1/4 inch for a 87-93 mustang with a v-6...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #8
you could get some stock mustang headers, an offroad h-pipe for a v6 mustang, and some stock mustang tailpipes for around $400 USD. all you would have to do is build the section from the h-pipe to the tailpipes yourself or have it done.
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #9
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;274342
you could get some stock mustang headers, an offroad h-pipe for a v6 mustang, and some stock mustang tailpipes for around $400 USD. all you would have to do is build the section from the h-pipe to the tailpipes yourself or have it done.

x2  I built mine from the summit catalog for around that much. Header-tailpipe.

-dz

Reply #10
When i got the exhaust done on my car it cost like 300 plus i bought lers,tailpipes and tips. See if you can't find a local garage with a pipe bender and a mechanic thats willing to give it a try. My 91 3.8 cost me 150 and the same guy that did my 85 made true duals from the motor back with no lers.Talk about loud=]