Skip to main content
Topic: mustang k-member (Read 3988 times) previous topic - next topic

mustang k-member

Hello everyone,I am interested in getting a mustang k-member for my 87 cougar.I was wondering what years i need to look for and does it need to be a 5.0 car.
                                                              Thanks,
                                                                Joe

Re: mustang k-member

Reply #1
What would be the advantage to switching to a Mustang K-member?

Reply #2
The motor mounts are better on a Mustang.  I have the original K member, and I can feel the engine moving around in between every shift.
1988 Thunderbird
5.0 HO, t5, TC rear, TC brakes, etc. - Gone

Reply #3
I was intrested in doing this mod too, I know Nate has one in his bird.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
I guess that'd make the car fully compatible with those nice stiff aftermkt motor mounts, etc, huh?

Reply #5
Can't help ya on what years to look for, but..

..what about the QA1 Mustang tubular K-member? There's one in the Summit catalog under the Mustang section, for $229.95. I was considering that for my own use, if it worked.

Reply #6
i got one out of a 1990-93 i beleave. i wanted the later one because they sopposedly redesigned them for clearance? eather way its better IMO than stock and it went rite in, just have to elongate 2 holes twards the firewall side.  another bennifit is clearance, the mustang mounts let the engine sit lower and give you more room for headers. when i put the 351 in (next year hopefully) ill get a tubular one sence the stock one is so much nicer than what came with our cars.

Reply #7
I have a D&D motorsports tubular k-member in my 87 cougar, everyone said it would be a direct fit but it wasent, we had to make a spacer plate. I called D&Ds tech line and they said it doesnt fit some fox bodys depending on when and where they were made including capris  :dunno:  Just letting you know what to expect from a tubular one, ive never tried a stock mustang k-member so hopfully someone on here has one in a COUGAR and they can tell ya if it fits ;)

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Reply #8
wasnt your cougar in a few deer accidents to? even though it was straitened alot of times its not compleatly straitened. that could also have been a helper in it not fitting. and haveing said that, make sure the stock mustang k member you get wasnt in a wreck to.

Reply #9
OK thanks guys,i'm going to the junkyard later in the week.I'll see if i can find a newer model fox one then.

Reply #10
Trickflow347 - Could you explain further where you had to put the spacers, how big the spacers had to be, and what you fabricated them from? (A picture would be great if at all possible)
1988 Thunderbird
5.0 HO, t5, TC rear, TC brakes, etc. - Gone

Reply #11
Quote from: Manson
wasnt your cougar in a few deer accidents to? even though it was straitened alot of times its not compleatly straitened. that could also have been a helper in it not fitting. and haveing said that, make sure the stock mustang k member you get wasnt in a wreck to.

Yes, but it was body damage only. It didnt fit because it wasent tall enough in the front to reach the mount...by like an inch! Hmmm, maybe thats also why my car sits so high in the front.

Ill get a picture right now, hold on.

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Reply #12
oooo ok, yeah then the frame woulda been fine ok. because i worked in a body shop at ford for a while and the guys their were pretty good, but they usualy could only get stuff to line up useing the play in the body pannels. the frame was never perfect again unless it was a truck, and they got new frame rails lol.

Reply #13
no pictures cuz I cant find any batteries :mad:
But I did measure it 3/4 inch thick steel by 9 1/2 inch long by something like 3 inches wide if i remember correctly. then drilled holes in it to match up the bolts. Not that big of a deal really.

I have never had my car straightened, but I have had to replace a few body panels. We hit the deer at 20mph and it blew up the front end :mad: nothing major.

Reply #14
dang that thing is still sittin high, was hoping you'd had that figured out by now. You talked to Mike lately?