Skip to main content
Topic: Rear Tire Sizes? (Read 1592 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear Tire Sizes?

I've an 86 Thunderbird TC, and I am wondering what the biggest tire sizes I can run in the rear are. I plan to put Mickey Thompson E/T series street slicks on the rear, but I don't know how big I can fit. I don't want to have to do any major changes to the car, anyone have any experience or know what I can fit? Thanks!

Rear Tire Sizes?

Reply #1
If its just track use, a set of 275/60's fit okay. I've heard mt's run a bit smaller then actual size.

I had street tires, they would rub a bit on hard driveways with tools in the trunk. 275/50's are stock diameter and should clear fine no matter what.

If you havent already, might wanna upgrade the 7.5 rear if you'll be putting power down.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Rear Tire Sizes?

Reply #2
It's more street use than anything. Pretty much all street use. I'm also more worried about the width fitting than anything else. So for street you recommend 275/50? Or a little smaller like 255/60? And what about front tires, for a 15x7 wheel. I want a good and thin tire for the front.

Rear Tire Sizes?

Reply #3
Front about the biggest you can go without swapping to the larger 11" brake setup is about a 235/60. I ran 195/60r15's up front for a while with the 275/60r15's. Go with a stang offset, and you will be golden.

The tc should have quad shocks in the rear, they will limit the rear width if you want to keep them.

Outback, my tires had plenty of room on the inside, not so much on the outside. If you roll the fenders, you could get away with more. A ton more if your okay with some strategic hammering.

The reason I recommend the 275/50 is because it is a 26" tall tire. Stock is 25.8-26.1 tall, so the Speedo should stay accurate.

My 275/60's rubbed with weight in the car, sometimes badly if I was really loaded down. I think thats because it is a 28" tall tire and 10.8" tread width.

The 275/50 setup is 26 x 10.1 wide, so it will gain ya half an inch in width and an inch in height while still being pretty meaty and filling the wheel wells some.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Rear Tire Sizes?

Reply #4
So 275/50 I can probably get away with and not have to change anything in the rear? That is probably what I will do then. And I'm going for thin tires, but ones that wont be too thin and look stretched. Any suggestions on brands or specific tires to run on the front on 15x7 rims?

Rear Tire Sizes?

Reply #5
Pretty much, except for maybe the quad shocks. My cars didn't have them.

Another thing to keep in mind is that tire manufactures can vary up to .5" from actual measurements.

I had cooper cobras, pep boys and discount tire stores stock them, but I had to wait for them to be shipped to the store.

On the front with a 15/7, the 195/60 is a 24" tall tire, not stretched or super tiny, but gives a bit of a drop and a bit of rake. They are also a pretty common size for import econo cars.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Rear Tire Sizes?

Reply #6
Alright, I think that's what I am going with then, hopefully don't have to remove the quad shocks, but if I do I do. Thanks a lot for the help, hopefully everything comes together nice. Thanks again!

Rear Tire Sizes?

Reply #7
You have an 8.8 under that car?  The 83-86 TC's only had 7.5's and that isn't going to hold up with tires that hook.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Rear Tire Sizes?

Reply #8
I don't know, but I'm not racing it. It's for looks and car shows more than anything. And I guess if I break it, it's time to upgrade

Rear Tire Sizes?

Reply #9
If you don’t know then I bet it’s the 7.5. The cover on the rear of an 8.8 looks like a rounded off square and a 7.5 has defined round sides. Look about 2/3 the way down this article on LMr’s site to see a picture of the difference:

https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-7-5-8-8-Rear-End-Axle-Info

So no racing? Then why spend the money on them as they are more costly than a regular radial tire.  Just get some good looking tread pattern tires and be done with it. I have 275’s on my 83 and will be moving up to 305’s when I change over to 18x10’s on the rear.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Rear Tire Sizes?

Reply #10
By the looks of it, it seems to be the 7.5. But I just like the way they look, how aggressive they are. And they really don't cost that much more. But thanks for showing me the difference between the 7.5 and 8.8, good thing to know.