Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone in the Ripley, WV area? (Read 3429 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone in the Ripley, WV area?

This is probably a long shot but I'm wondering if  there are any board members in the Ripley/Fairplain WV area.  The short  version of the story is that my wife and I bought a 2nd vehicle ('04 Mountaineer yay Ford!) while we  were visiting my in-laws in NC and while we were driving it and my Neon  home, I killed my Neon on I-77 near the Ripley/Fairplain exit in WV.  We packed everything into the Mountaineer and headed the additional  200 miles home with the Neon still sitting in the Speedway parking lot.

The dilemma I'm faced with is this.  The engine is dead, I ran it hot  and tried to push for one more exit.  It started rattling, losing oil  pressure and finally coasted to a stop at the entrance of the Speedway  with a cloud of blue smoke.  Trying to crank it over it sounds like  there's no compression at all.  The car has 201k miles, the body is  rough and the car isn't really worth the expense of getting the car home  (200 miles) to just s it here.

I've called all the nearest junkyards in the area and no one has even been  interested in picking it up.  I thought I would post here and find out  if there's anyone in the area who would want this thing to s it.  I'm not in a position to go get  the car and the longer it sits there the more likely it is to become a  problem.  Being that we just bought another car I'm not in a financial  position to pay $350+ to have it towed here, either.  Basically I want  rid of the car.  I do have clear title and keys for it in my possession.

Anyone in the area that could help me out or does anyone know how I can get rid of this car from 200 miles away?  It has a new-ish battery and also four aluminum rims to sort of bump up the s value.

Reply #1
Quote from: Ifixyawata;448580
Anyone in the area that could help me out or does anyone know how I can get rid of this car from 200 miles away?  It has a new-ish battery and also four aluminum rims to sort of bump up the s value.

You can try donating it to one of the charities in the area, many will pickup(at least around here) if they don't run... Usually they have auctions every month or two so they get a little something for even the dead ones... You'd likely have to send them the title before they'd pickup, hopefully Speedway doesn't have it hauled off first...

Reply #2
My wife has talked to the manager at speedway and they've been very cooperative so far, I think the charity thing might have to be my next move... I never heard back one way or another from the one syard but failing that it looks like I might have to find a local charity if any exist.

Reply #3
if you ever need help like that again, jot down my number 304 772 3411 or 4082,

I was just up through that way last week and the week before that.

I have family oh and projects up there now and pass I77 often including I79

this is why ive said for a long time now we should  have some sort of contact list / voluntieers who are willing to provide this info to fellow members.

like when you search the member list, there is a sort by state option and if there is a contact number, you could have some help.

Reply #4
i just checked my expense report,, on 2june i was in transit from East Liverpool south bound 77 and according to my dairy queen receipt i was the Belle exit in Charleston wv exit at 5:30pm,, that puts me up at ripley around 2 or so hrs prior.  next on the 9th i was up through and back down the same path 6:30am going up and passing back down around 10pm.

i do these stupid long days ,, 30 hour work days ..lol