Skip to main content
Topic: Toyota Corolla is the top seller in the C4C program? Notsofast! (Read 3853 times) previous topic - next topic

Toyota Corolla is the top seller in the C4C program? Notsofast!

I was just reading on CNNMoney that the REAL top seller for CARS is the Ford Escape. Seems the government separated each version of the Escape (2WD, 4WD, 4cyl, 6cyl, hybrid) into a completely different model. If you add them all up and just call them “Escape” it is the top seller. Focus is still #2 when all trim lines are combined into one model, and the Corolla is bumped way down to the #9 slot. Here’s the true breakdown of the top ten when only models (and not trim levels) are concerned:

#1: Ford Escape
#2: Ford Focus
#3: Jeep Patriot
#4: Dodge Caliber
#5: Ford F150
#6: Honda Civic
#7: Chevrolet Silverado
#8: Chevrolet Cobalt
#9: Toyota Corolla
#10: Ford Fusion

These figures seriously change the way the gov’t is reporting who has purchased what. It proves two things: First, people are buying way more trucks & SUV’s than the gov’t lets on (four of the top ten are trucks or SUV's: Escape, Patriot, F150, Silverado – so much for everyone buying fuel misers), and second, people are buying way more domestics than imports. Of the top five all are domestic, and of the top ten only two are imports, the Civic (#6) and Corolla (#9).

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing (and this is purely a guess) that a lot of the C4C trades are tit-for-tat, so to speak: An old Explorer is turned in for an Escape, an old F-150 is traded for a new F-150, an old Silverado is traded for a new one, an old Cherokee is traded for a Patriot, etc...

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/07/autos/cash_for_clunkers_sales/index.htm?postversion=2009080709
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #1
And with 4 of the top 10 sells i say ford is coming around bout  time let the people of the world bleed blue.

Reply #2
alot of the domestic sales are related to the OTHER rebates the domestic dealers are offering with C4C, doesnt surprize me one bit.

i wouldnt buy a new car from any manufacturer if it cost me only $10 dollars to own it after all the rebates :/
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #3
I gotta admit i would consider that little escape for a DD....Personally i would rather stimulate the economy with my purchased by spending my money towards it than yours...as my 98 cherokee is likely a "clunker" heck, i think the mustang is....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #4
Well that is definitely a relief to read, I was getting really angry at the fact that all I see or hear is about people buying Kia's and Hyundai's. Glad to hear FORD is ruling the charts! Let the people bleed blue indeed!
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #5
at least people are buying cars made here in the US or at least assembled.

Reply #6
Quote from: Innes;285814
at least people are buying cars made here in the US or at least assembled.

the focus, fusion, caliber and patriot are based off imported vehicals. i dont think any of them are assembled here except for the focus(now)

Reply #7
FORD is badass.......
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #8
Quote from: massCougarxr7;285847
FORD is badass.......
Ehhh, maybe...maybe not. Time will tell if the trend continues upwards, or least stays level. If this recession had hit 2 years ago...Ford would be under and out right now. ;)

lol. Most people I've talked to about the ordeal have indicated no interest in brand name, other than buying "American".

Again, I ask...define an "American" car...?

As in North American....can we count the Dodges from Matamoros?
How about the Canadian Buicks and Chevies?
How about Hondas built in Mississippi?

What I find most distasteful is that we (well, those who partite in the c4c) are basically paying for a new car 3 times...

Once when you buy the turned-in car, once when you (along with every other taxpayer) pay your taxes to fund the f*cking program, and again when you actually buy the new car.

At this rate...surprising that the Powers-That-Be aren't selling real estate on Mars.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;285907
other than buying "American".

Again, I ask...define an "American" car...?

As in North American....can we count the Dodges from Matamoros?
How about the Canadian Buicks and Chevies?
How about Hondas built in Mississippi?

Ill tell you why,,
because people were desperate for a job, then they showed up for work one day back in the 80's / early 90's knowing full well that the product they produce is not american nor does any profit go to our stock market.

w yourself our to the highest bidder, thats what thats about. 

I dont really care who has what to say about it,, imagine how shameful you would feel if you made amunition , weapons ect for N Korea right here in the USA. 

its called stooping , which I dont make a habit of handing out any graciousness to.  Americans being used for a purpose imposed by a forgien country.  why do you think the forgien auto makers in the US are the lowest paid?  Put up a factory for the poor americans and exploit them, perhaps its carma back on us,, dono.

Reply #10
Well, it IS Karma....because we ( and I mean myself just as well as anybody else out there..) want more for less....more healthcare, more bonuses, more salary, more...whatever to infinity.

THAT'S why we're up shiznit crick, no paddle, and leaky boat.

Let's have our cake and eat it too, but leave the dirty dishes for the next generations clean up.

We gotta start doing things differently, but I just woke, I don't have any answers as to how, just yet, lol

I worked at a supplier for GM a few years ago, and when they went on strike, I was out of work for awhile. We were NOT union, but they're bullshiznit affected us, as well.

I'm not turning this into that kinda thread, just sayin'.
Just sometimes ya gotta be willing to give a little...beats going hungry. But to me, I'd rather go hungry than w myself out to the high bidder. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #11
Quote from: jcassity;286317
Ill tell you why,,
because people were desperate for a job, then they showed up for work one day back in the 80's / early 90's knowing full well that the product they produce is not american nor does any profit go to our stock market.

w yourself our to the highest bidder, thats what thats about. 

I dont really care who has what to say about it,, imagine how shameful you would feel if you made amunition , weapons ect for N Korea right here in the USA. 

its called stooping , which I dont make a habit of handing out any graciousness to.  Americans being used for a purpose imposed by a forgien country.  why do you think the forgien auto makers in the US are the lowest paid?  Put up a factory for the poor americans and exploit them, perhaps its carma back on us,, dono.

most puppiesanese cars sold here are now made here, by poor americans.
im sure they earn every cent of thier lower wage putting together a quality car thats built to exceed the warranty. i would call the honda accord a domestic before most "american" cars made now.
where was your new american car made, and by whom? and what company was it originally built by?
where is the money going that the american companies have made?
who sold out who here?
:toilet: