Skip to main content
Topic: sasha got smashed (Read 2030 times) previous topic - next topic

sasha got smashed

Yup on Friday may 15th on my way home from work, A guy on the highway  in a 2009 Toyota Tacoma decided my back bumper was a better way to stop than his brakes. Tore me and the car up pretty good. Though surprisingly his truck faired much worse than my bird.
Insurance adjuster came to see it today, we will see how it turns out. wish me luck!

sasha got smashed

Reply #1
good luck, could be bad due to the age of the car.
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

sasha got smashed

Reply #2
I am certain that they will total it. Those wrinkles above the rear wheel show that it needs significant straightening, and probably a new quarter panel.

Having just had a car totaled by a dingbat who ran a red light I know what you will be going through. DO NOT accept their first offer (unless it knocks your socks off). Give them a list of mods, reciepts, and comparable cars for sale. Otherwise, they will just look up a base model, no options, high-miles, and offer you trade value.

Example- Mine was a rust-free geo metro 4-door, automatic w/AC (stop laughing). Anyway, they offered me $900. I sent them my list of mods, and reciepts. They came back at 1200. I said "find me my same exact car for that amount, and I'll accept your offer". They couldn't (remember, this was when gas was still high). Come to find out they were looking up a base model, 2-door stick with no air. They conceded and gave me $2200. That's more like it. Negotiate!

Make sure they have a provision for buying your car back (if you want to) if it ends up totaled. They offered me my geo back for $200, but I declined since it was fubar.

CoogarXR
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

sasha got smashed

Reply #3
Ouch. I'm guessing it may be tweeked a little.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

sasha got smashed

Reply #4
i had a Mustang GT convert that got totaled. As soon as I heard that I called up the case worker for the other guy's insurance and told them dont even think they are going to walk away from this giving me $200.  I printed out an auto trader listing for my year car, which has an average price feature and gave it to him. I had plenty of pics to show the previous condition of the car as well, plus all receipts. With those 3 things i told him I would not accept less than X amount or i would see them in small claims court(for cases under $10K).  They hate litigation, just be fair with the price and firm. You can also demand to buy your car back for 1-2% of what they pay you for it. Hope it works out.

sasha got smashed

Reply #5
I do plan on buying her back, I have way to much time and money in it to just let it go.

sasha got smashed

Reply #6
Man that sux......... i think id cry if my car washiznit like that......... good luck!!
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

sasha got smashed

Reply #7
Buy it back, slap on a new quarter, bumper, light and be wheeling in a couple weeks.  Sucks.  Looks like it was extremely clean before.

sasha got smashed

Reply #8
this is exactly the reason why i took my bird off the streets.  i need to find a good home for it, or im just not ganna sell it.

although... the thin steel and aluminum death trap im flying around in these days prolly is worse in the safety aspect.

this is at least the 3rd car i've seen so far thats gotten hit...  EVERYONE PUT THE BIRDS AND CATS IN THE GARAGE.  we got the best of the best.. it needs to stay that way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

sasha got smashed

Reply #9
they should fix it, mine was a little worse than yours. they seen how much work i had done and how clean it was then gave me a check for $2600.00 to get it fixed. You will have a salvaged title though, which means only liability insurance and if you ever sell it you need to let the buyer no that it has a totaled title.
88 sport,TW heads, comp xe270hr, cobra u/Tmoss ported lower, 65 mm throttle body, under drives,smog delete,
1.7 roller rockers, cai, k&n, bbk adj regulator, 76mm Pro-m,all MSD ign. MSD dist,18° base timing, 3g alt.1 5/8 ceramic headers, 255lph walbro, 2.5" h-pipe, flowmasters, silverfox valvebody, 3.73 gear,
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/flipnbird/DSCF0185.jpg ( RIP : ( )

sasha got smashed

Reply #10
That means they wrote off your car and cut you a check,not that they fixed it.
Hence the salvaged title.

sasha got smashed

Reply #11
Wow, Sorry to see that, people just don't pay attention, he was probably on the cell phone or texting at the time he hit you. We saw the damage done to your Bird, how about you? You ok? A hit like that could really give you a bad whip lash!

sasha got smashed

Reply #12
Quote from: dominator;274844
That means they wrote off your car and cut you a check,not that they fixed it.
Hence the salvaged title.

correct !!! ,,,,,,, but it still GOT FIXED and i am still driving it
88 sport,TW heads, comp xe270hr, cobra u/Tmoss ported lower, 65 mm throttle body, under drives,smog delete,
1.7 roller rockers, cai, k&n, bbk adj regulator, 76mm Pro-m,all MSD ign. MSD dist,18° base timing, 3g alt.1 5/8 ceramic headers, 255lph walbro, 2.5" h-pipe, flowmasters, silverfox valvebody, 3.73 gear,
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/flipnbird/DSCF0185.jpg ( RIP : ( )

sasha got smashed

Reply #13
make sure they get the book value from the nada classic . had to remind  my insurance of that . i got $3,250 after the buy back cost for a 88 tbird sport with 73k on it  . went and bought a 88 t/c . still got the sport too just not sure what im going to do with it.

sasha got smashed

Reply #14
time for an update guys, Sasha is still on the road, and in good spirits. even though she's still bent up. As for myself, well lets just say she's in better shape tha me. I saw a Neurologist this morning, have some nerve damage a bulging disk and a torn disk. I have been in therapy sence May, though my right foot still tingles.  Sence I cant run any more It's been a hard fight to keep from gaining weight. As for the only good news from the situation, the guy that hit me was in a company vehicle. My lawyer thinks I'll be happy with the settlement. Though honestly I'd rather It never had happened.
It pains me to know that Sasha went from this...

to this....

and for those who are wondering, this is the truck that hit me. 2009 toyota