Skip to main content
Topic: Ford 5.0L Coyote MOD spied + DSG style sequential manual unveiled (Read 6532 times) previous topic - next topic

Ford 5.0L Coyote MOD spied + DSG style sequential manual unveiled

Reply #15
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;252957
Who wants to bet that IF this engine makes it to production...IF it has 350-400 hp, and IF it really is all that and a sack of chips..that some GM-lovin smartass will say that Ford still can't beat GM with 2 more valves and cams? lol

Of course. Because if it was the other way around, you know the Ford guy would be getting his digs in too. ;) Just try to imagine the  Camaro/Firebird guys have been enduring from the Mustang crowd since their cars stopped being produced. The rivalry is the best thing for both sides, btw.

My personal opinion of the MOD motors? The switch to OHC didn't do Ford's V8s a hell of a lot of good. I think they should have kept developing the 302 family of engines like GM did with their small block. Remember the first ZR1, with the DOHC Lotus heads? Great motor, but GM decided the bigger package and higher cost wasn't worth the global change. With today's new LSX, I'd have to agree with them.

Reply #16
I'd always wondered what could have came from the Windsor had Ford continued its development... maybe a split port setup like the 3.8.. an aluminum block... more CI (like maybe an "official" short deck 347 stroker, an "official" tall deck 427, etc)

Alas, we'll never see. As for the modular: It was a bit slow out of the gates, but gradual improvements have made it into a decent engine.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #17
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;252966
I'd always wondered what could have came from the Windsor had Ford continued its development... maybe a split port setup like the 3.8.. an aluminum block... more CI (like maybe an "official" short deck 347 stroker, an "official" tall deck 427, etc)

Alas, we'll never see. As for the modular: It was a bit slow out of the gates, but gradual improvements have made it into a decent engine.

I'd bet that with those same gradual improvements, the Windsor would still be making more power in a smaller, lighter, cheaper package. From what I can scrounge up, the last 5.0L Mustang was making 240hp, which is pretty small potatoes compared to the newest and best OHV V8s. That's going on 15 years ago now, and you know they could have made vast improvements in this crucial last decade.

I'd love to see a modernised 5.0L OHV tested next to this upcoming 5.0L MOD. But like you said, we'll never know.

Reply #18
Although not a true evolution of the Windsor engine; the new "FR9" NASCAR engine is probably about as close as you will get to a modern version of a Ford pushrod V8.

http://www.frontstretch.com/ncpr/22125/
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #19
I guess some of the (idle) rumors that the new 5L would be pushrod were not true. I still like the 5L moniker - it'll be nice to hear people discussing 5L engines again, though it may get confusing!

I'll take the blown 400RWHP as well, though after drivetrain and driving the blower losses, it actually uses 520 HP worth of fuel (flywheel HP).
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #20
I'll take the blown 400RWHP as well, though after drivetrain and driving the blower losses, it actually uses 520 HP worth of fuel (flywheel HP).

Everything's a trade off ;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #21
40 HP well spent IMHO ;)
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.