Skip to main content
Topic: Computers of the best kind (Read 2857 times) previous topic - next topic

Computers of the best kind

Ok, so I've been looking into everything needed, and I believe I can offer you guys incar pc's for the cost of $1,500usd installed.

I can offer these in both 1- and 2-din, so they will fit whatever car you have.

The specs between the two are identical, the only differences are how it mounts in the car.

Why would you want one of these? Allow me to list the features available from having one.

First off, they can completely replace your headunit. These units will have am/fm (xm is optional added cost), 4x65w output, with sub outputs.

The software included will be customized to the owners vehicle, both in colors and logo's.

I suppose the feature list would be good here, I know, I suck at writing sales pitches lol.

am/fm
gps
dvd playback
1.6ghz Intel Atom chipset
1gb ram (expandable to 2gb)
120gb hdd for storing movies and music
should be sub-20 second boot times, i know a guy that has his booting in under 12 seconds from on to interface.

These are great for those that do a lot of driving, or have kids. Music, movies, navigation, and you even have the option of an OBDii reader!

sat radio and wifi are both extra, as sat radio is subscription, and the price of wifi cards depends on what you get, and if you want an external antenna.

the single din unit will have the dvd drive in the case, the double din unit will have it external (only because the only way to put it in the case is to make the screen flip down, and I'm not sure if I want to attempt to fab a hinge and latch setup for the screen).

The price seems high, but keep in mind its a setup that can be moved from car to car, perfect for those that lease.

There really isnt any profit for me in the price, thats just the parts and the fab/setup time. If the am/fm wasnt included i could drop the price like 250 bucks. expensive module.  I'm not really in it to make money, I just f***in LOVE computers :hick:

Thanks for readin, hopefully I garner some interest and a couple customers.

Any questions, just post, and I can answer to the best of my knowledge
Quote from: ?;247173
Screw you Ford... I'm going to get a ranger riding a mustang to restore your focus on the expedition needed to escape from the edge of bankruptcy.

Quote from: random im message;385099
need to pretend to get some awesome wheels for my invisible cars so i can pimp hard in my dreams at night...

Reply #1
for almost $1000 less you could put it together yourself with almost the exact same specs if not better. The only really expensive parts is the screen and powersupply/startup controller.

Check out mp3car.com if you haven't already.
*edit*

obd II is pointless for 98% of us driving foxes...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
how do you figure you can do the whole thing for 500?  it costs me 110 for the mobo and ram, and a minimum of 320 for the screen.  thats 440 right there.  not including the hdd, the case, cables, the am/fm (which i might not offer that, just so i can keep the cost down, i found a cheap source for xm modules) or anything else.

yes, the specs get better, but as the specs go up, so does the price...

edit:

as i said above, i'm making these as 100% headunit replacement units.  not something you need to run through a stereo and find placement for.  complete bolt in units, including am/fm, 4x65w output (in true surround, not just front rear fader, great for movies), dvd, and gps.
Screw you Ford... I'm going to get a ranger riding a mustang to restore your focus on the expedition needed to escape from the edge of bankruptcy.

need to pretend to get some awesome wheels for my invisible cars so i can pimp hard in my dreams at night...

Reply #3
I didn't really know that you were building building them. I wish you the best of luck and am interested in how it goes. Alot of places give you a good discount for ordering in bulk and may help the prices drop. Are you doing a motorized lcd screen pop out?
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #4
You may have to make a demo model to hush the naysayers.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
yes, i'm going to be using a popout screen for the single din, the pc would mount under pass seat, quick run of a single wire bundle up to the dash. 

double din units would have the screen affixed to the front.

i would totally love to make a demo unit, but before i can splurge to make mine...i need to fix my tbird :hick:

Reply #6
p.s.

i can drop about 200 bucks off if people want xm instead of am/fm.  the am/fm module is 250 bucks for the module and cables required, i can get an xm unit for something like 40, and i'm waiting to see which cable i need.

so xm instead of am/fm is a cheaper option.

Reply #7
probably fairly slow screen rate, but it may be a way to cut down cost.

http://www.thegadgeteers.com/
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #8
thanks for that heads up....but its not even made it here from korea yet.....i shudder at the thought of first batch products lol.

i'll wait till i hear reviews on them lol

Reply #9
Where would you put the pc if it has dual power sets? Just being curious.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
behind the doors in the little hole under the arm rests in the back seat.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #11
valid question, hadn't thought too much of that.  most cars i've seen though, there is still room enough under the passenger seat for one of these.  teh case i'm looking at for the single din units is only 2.6 inches tall and should still clear most power seat units.  if not, i can work with the car's owner to find another convenient spot (each car is different, as are each owners taste's) at no extra charge for the extra work and casing.

Reply #12
Theres also space in the dash you could put it, Im a computer building myself..  I was thinking about building a PC for the cougar..  and had the specs and everything but said no because i don't drive that much... lol
.: Lastest :.

Reply #13
I will be doing this my self soon. Planning on doing it for around $500. The $120 screen will help out a great deal. I will be using a $80 power supply and a really old 533mhz mini-itx.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #14
Wait... What?

First off, this section is NOT for pimping products for sale.

Secondly, w/o some sort of demo or anything more than just verbage saying "I can do this", this is not going to fly here with me period.

Build your demo, prove what it can do and then if you want to offer "services" or product for sale, make the proper posts in the proper forum.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo