Skip to main content
Topic: '84 Instrument Cluster Questions (Read 1498 times) previous topic - next topic

'84 Instrument Cluster Questions

Hello all,
I've got an '84 LS V6 with the infamous '83/'84 "no info" gauge cluster with basically a speedometer, a fuel gauge, and a couple dummy lights.  I've actually got 2 questions:  one, would a gauge cluster from an '83 Turbo Coupe (w/ a tach) be a hard swap, seeing as how I'd have to alter the tach from an I4 to the V6, and two, has anybody ever swapped in an entire dash assembly from an '85 to '88 Cougar/T-bird into an '83/'84?  If anybody has any experience with either of these approaches, please help me out.  Thanks a bunch!

Fordman3

Re: '84 Instrument Cluster Questions

Reply #1
bump

Reply #2
Hmmm....I've never messed with that cluster, as far as swapping. It's possible, I'm sure, just not aware of the wiring differences. The tach could probably have some type of resistor installed inline to make it work properly. But you'd still be stuck with idiot lights for everything else. That's why a majority of 1983-84 owners put aftermarket gauges in everywhere...

Far as swapping for the newer dash, again, I'm sure it's possible but have not heard of anyone doing it before. You would have to have a complete donor car for ALL the parts behind the dash. But I think it's a feasible project given enough time. Most things are pretty self-explanatory back there.

Reply #3
My 83 was a 5.0 car...it now is a 2.3T car with the TC cluster. It's pretty simple to rewire the connector with the wiring diagrams and/or an EVTM.  Hell, my 80 XR-7 now has an 84 TC cluster in it and working :p (even though the car isn't working too well)

Why did I swap in the "lousy" 83-84 TC cluster....because I like it.  The only thing I really don't like is the speedo....but I can do something custom to deal with that and keep the look.  I don't like the looks of the 85+ dashes....so a swap was not an option for me.

As far as the tach resistor goes...you wouldn't need it of you yanked that 3.8 in favor of a 2.3T :D, but yeah you can make it work.

If you want to go the 85+ swap route...the dash is a n easy swap itself, but you will need to do some tinkering with the wiring and such.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo